Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Synthic Oil Or Non Synthic For Mercruisrer 7.4 ? >

Synthic Oil Or Non Synthic For Mercruisrer 7.4 ?

Notices

Synthic Oil Or Non Synthic For Mercruisrer 7.4 ?

Old 02-22-2011, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats the reason behind using conventional oil then switching to synthetic. everything i have read states you can run synthetic from the start.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PowerplayDave
whats the reason behind using conventional oil then switching to synthetic. everything i have read states you can run synthetic from the start.
Break in. Some synthetics, due to their extremely high film strength, will not allow pistons rings to seat properly.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by 07DominatorSS
Break in. Some synthetics, due to their extremely high film strength, will not allow pistons rings to seat properly.
Learned this the hard way on my stret bike, the dran thing was smoking so bad changed the oil twice in one week back to regular oil and then rode for a month and the issue went away. Switched back to syn. oil and never seen it smoke again.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kragar
What is acceptable Oil pressure on a stock motor at High RPM and what should it drop to at idle? I can run 40PSI at high rpm and when it drops to idle on after a longer run it can drop to 10 psi at idle. Running 10W40 Amsoil? I been told to run anything from SAE 30 to 20W50. 502 Motor.
Try using the Amsoil Synthetic 15/40 marine/diesel, I have had good luck with it.

Last edited by jeffswav; 02-24-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Use the Dominator series of Amsoil products. It has more additives for high performance applications. Diesel oil may actually be worse, gasoline and diesel produce different byproducts and the respective oils are designed for that purpose.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin
Use the Dominator series of Amsoil products. It has more additives for high performance applications. Diesel oil may actually be worse, gasoline and diesel produce different byproducts and the respective oils are designed for that purpose.
Actually the 15/40 is recomended by Amsoil if you call the tech line. "Hydrocruiser" recomends it also, it still has the additives needed. I have not used the Dominator series, I have heard that the racing oils need to be changed more often. There is a huge post on here somwhere that is about 100 pages that beats this topic to death.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeffswav
Actually the 15/40 is recomended by Amsoil if you call the tech line. "Hydrocruiser" recomends it also, it still has the additives needed. I have not used the Dominator series, I have heard that the racing oils need to be changed more often. There is a huge post on here somwhere that is about 100 pages that beats this topic to death.
Yes, true. The 15w-40 will work just fine. However, the Dominator series will actually be a bit better. Higher additive package formulated for higher horsepower engines. Also, true, that most racing oils are formulated for shorter intervals, however, this does not apply to the AMSOIL Dominator line, because it formulated with an abundance of additives to also be used for extended drain purposes and extra protection. Personally, I've run 3 seasons on the Dominator 15w-50, all of which were about 65 hours, and my oil analysis for all 3 seasons still show the oil to be good to use.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 07DominatorSS
Yes, true. The 15w-40 will work just fine. However, the Dominator series will actually be a bit better. Higher additive package formulated for higher horsepower engines. Also, true, that most racing oils are formulated for shorter intervals, however, this does not apply to the AMSOIL Dominator line, because it formulated with an abundance of additives to also be used for extended drain purposes and extra protection. Personally, I've run 3 seasons on the Dominator 15w-50, all of which were about 65 hours, and my oil analysis for all 3 seasons still show the oil to be good to use.
Good to know, I am in the 500HP range. I think I am fine with the 15/40, if I do any power adders I will have to look into the Dominator Oil.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:46 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 134 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsation96
Learned this the hard way on my stret bike, the dran thing was smoking so bad changed the oil twice in one week back to regular oil and then rode for a month and the issue went away. Switched back to syn. oil and never seen it smoke again.
+1 same with me rebuilt a Hemi and rings took forever to seat, had to go to conventional oil, then back to syn
Old 02-25-2011, 05:40 PM
Registered

Be careful using that Motorcycle Oil.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.