Notices

bronze distributer gear!

Old 11-08-2009, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem, cost me a motor. Distributor gear chewed down to nothing, I drained oil, flushed with kerosene, replaced oil, ran for about 20 min, and changed again. Motor still spun a bearing at 10 hours and ruined bloch and a nice lunati crank. Pull the motor, and tear it down, be sure to pull the cam bearings as behind them will be full of metal, and flush or replace oil cooler.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:18 PM
87cafe
VIP Member

Originally Posted by tx911
I had the same problem, cost me a motor. Distributor gear chewed down to nothing, I drained oil, flushed with kerosene, replaced oil, ran for about 20 min, and changed again. Motor still spun a bearing at 10 hours and ruined bloch and a nice lunati crank. Pull the motor, and tear it down, be sure to pull the cam bearings as behind them will be full of metal, and flush or replace oil cooler.
were you running a bronze or steel gear?
Old 11-08-2009, 10:22 PM
87cafe
VIP Member

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
You don't want it to eat up the cam. I am going through the same thing. I had an engine builder properly set the height and check timing. Charged about an hour and a half. Engine only had 15 hours on a new custom built motor. We are hoping it was a height problem at installation. I had billet cam, so we just replaced the steel dist gear.

I'm going to pull the oil pan to get the shavings. You dont want those chunks cloging up the oil pump.
well i might be wrong but this is why people should use a bronze gear, becauseits a softer material so you dont chew up other parts. steelgear does not have any mercy.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Registered

I had a steel gear, the cam was a roller, but had a press on cast gear. Even with bronze I would not take a chance with a motor I have 13 grand in. Thats just me
Old 11-09-2009, 05:46 PM
87cafe
VIP Member

Originally Posted by tx911
I had a steel gear, the cam was a roller, but had a press on cast gear. Even with bronze I would not take a chance with a motor I have 13 grand in. Thats just me
thanks for the info.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:49 PM
87cafe
VIP Member

Cool

well it looks like the ultra poly comp gear is the way to go in my situtation.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:52 PM
87cafe
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Rockfish71
What cam are you running is it all one piece billet roller or two piece then it has a cast iron gear You can buy teflon gaskets "shims" from jegs or summit you need to adjust the distributor with the shims to get the right gear height and make sure you can move the shaft up and down a little if you can't move it up the distributor is too far down.
it is a cast iron crane gear, thanks for all the help!
Old 11-10-2009, 01:14 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,950 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
it is a cast iron crane gear, thanks for all the help!
Then you can and should run a steel gear on the distributor.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:27 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the dist gear needs to be matched to the cam you are running, only the billet steel solid rollers require a bronze gear, adding one to a std cam would not be a good idea...if you are having issues with the correct gear to cam set, either the cam is junk or dist height way off...Rob
Old 11-10-2009, 09:01 AM
87cafe
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ezstriper
the dist gear needs to be matched to the cam you are running, only the billet steel solid rollers require a bronze gear, adding one to a std cam would not be a good idea...if you are having issues with the correct gear to cam set, either the cam is junk or dist height way off...Rob
yea im pretty sure its a height prob.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.