Notices

bronze distributer gear!

Old 11-07-2009, 04:13 PM
87cafe
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry bronze distributer gear!

anybody had a problem with wearing out a distributer gear causing the engine to jump time in a 454 big block, it happen twice to me within about a 6 month spand?
Old 11-07-2009, 04:22 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,993 Likes on 995 Posts

Do your cam's require a bronze gear???? They will wear out pretty fast. I think comp cams makes a composite one that is supposed to last longer.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:29 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 129 Likes on 65 Posts

A buddy had a gear problem after a rebuild....for some reason the distributor was a little to far down and was wearing out the gear. A small spacer under the distributor fixed it.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:40 PM
Registered

What cam are you running is it all one piece billet roller or two piece then it has a cast iron gear You can buy teflon gaskets "shims" from jegs or summit you need to adjust the distributor with the shims to get the right gear height and make sure you can move the shaft up and down a little if you can't move it up the distributor is too far down.

Last edited by Rockfish71; 11-07-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:58 AM
87cafe
VIP Member

well this is problemm, i dont no what kinda cam shaft i have but my budy is tellin me to raplace it with a steel gear, it seems to be shimmed right, id o no that the motor has been beef up alittle bit i found adyno sheet that says its pumping out 456hp, it did have prochargers on it but were takin off because of issues the the dyno said with pg it put out 647 hp, im gonna pull the distributer on the other motor havent had any issues out of that one.im alittle scared to put a steel gear on there bacause if it goes i amuch bigger prob!

Last edited by [email protected]; 11-08-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by [email protected]
well this is problemm, i dont no what kinda cam shaft i have but my budy is tellin me to raplace it with a steel gear, it seems to be shimmed right, id o no that the motor has been beef up alittle bit i found adyno sheet that says its pumping out 456hp, it did have prochargers on it but were takin off because of issues the the dyno said with pg it put out 647 hp, im gonna pull the distributer on the other motor havent had any issues out of that one.im alittle scared to put a steel gear on there bacause if it goes i amuch bigger prob!
When you remove the distributor look down there with a good light if you look at the gear and if it looks like shiny steel on each side of the gear then your running a billet cam if it looks like black cast steel then your running a iron gear.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think the best thing to do at this point is to ensure you don't have a bunch of bronze shavings or bronze material in you oil or engine at this time, next I would order up a composite gear for your distributor. Find an engine builder that has the MSD set-up distributor tool to find the proper height for the collar. If you have a MSD distributor with the slip collar you can adjust it to the tool, if not buy a slip collar and machine the distributor housing for the collar. I have to do this on every engine build.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:31 PM
87cafe
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Rockfish71
When you remove the distributor look down there with a good light if you look at the gear and if it looks like shiny steel on each side of the gear then your running a billet cam if it looks like black cast steel then your running a iron gear.
i got a boarscope out this afternoon it looks like areg cast gear its not billet, i just want to no what you guys might suggest going back with bronze or steel gear
Old 11-08-2009, 07:33 PM
87cafe
VIP Member

Originally Posted by MER Performance
I think the best thing to do at this point is to ensure you don't have a bunch of bronze shavings or bronze material in you oil or engine at this time, next I would order up a composite gear for your distributor. Find an engine builder that has the MSD set-up distributor tool to find the proper height for the collar. If you have a MSD distributor with the slip collar you can adjust it to the tool, if not buy a slip collar and machine the distributor housing for the collar. I have to do this on every engine build.
thanks for all the info, i did drain all the oil.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:44 PM
Registered

Received 313 Likes on 185 Posts

You don't want it to eat up the cam. I am going through the same thing. I had an engine builder properly set the height and check timing. Charged about an hour and a half. Engine only had 15 hours on a new custom built motor. We are hoping it was a height problem at installation. I had billet cam, so we just replaced the steel dist gear.

I'm going to pull the oil pan to get the shavings. You dont want those chunks cloging up the oil pump.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.