Notices

Hi Amp Alternator

Old 11-25-2009, 01:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought 2 Ohio Generator Alternators a few years back and they claimed 280 amps on test sheet. They put a smaller pulley on them to make them spin faster, but still require 3000 rpm's and above to reach full amp capacity. These don't work the greatest for the money spent in a marine application. I'm still working with them to get them to charge full capacity at around 1200 rpm's I'll keep you posted. I'm running 3 Optima blue tops and 2 Kinetic Monsters 1200's I'm pushing close to 3000 watts of amps though. Damn no wonder my boat keeps slowing down every year.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by irishtornado
I bought 2 Ohio Generator Alternators a few years back and they claimed 280 amps on test sheet. They put a smaller pulley on them to make them spin faster, but still require 3000 rpm's and above to reach full amp capacity. These don't work the greatest for the money spent in a marine application. I'm still working with them to get them to charge full capacity at around 1200 rpm's I'll keep you posted. I'm running 3 Optima blue tops and 2 Kinetic Monsters 1200's I'm pushing close to 3000 watts of amps though. Damn no wonder my boat keeps slowing down every year.
WOW!, Thats some SERIOUS Audio, must sound KILLER!

Just curious what you would recommend for an alternator for my application? Thanks!

Michael
Old 11-26-2009, 12:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by n20michael
WOW!, Thats some SERIOUS Audio, must sound KILLER!

Just curious what you would recommend for an alternator for my application? Thanks!

Michael
Sadly for the marine application Ohio Generator seems to be it, but they can't get it to charge at lower RPM's which most of us seem to need it to charge around 1000-2000rpm's and be at full capacity. The best I've seen is 120amp alternators you sound like your in the same boat as me needing 200amp or more. Only thing I can recommend is to take your stock alternator to a shop and tell them to make it put out the most they can.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 1,312 Likes on 639 Posts

How many Farad capacitor are you guys running?
Old 11-26-2009, 04:47 PM
Registered

You need approx 1 Farad for every 1K watts, I have heard different opinions, some claim that IF you have enough battery power [multiple batteries] then they aren't work the effort, I have also heard people say they make a "huge" difference. There might be others on here with more knowledge/experience.

I have seen many SERIOUS marine audio systems that didn't t have them though.

Michael