Notices

572 DFI Procharger Build

Old 08-15-2010, 08:34 AM
CNC
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DonRoc
getting there
Did you get them dynoed?? I've got one motor to go yet, waiting on dyno availability.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything seems to take longer than planned with this project. The dyno is not set up to handle the HP my motor takes to run. It take a lot of fuel, and Needs my pump and larger lines on the suction and pressure to the motor. Just takes time. I'm not there now rumor has it, it should be plumbed and running today. hope a break in and some pulls today. Hope tomorrow it gets installed in the boat and Tuesday water / prop testing The ECM should be really close from previous testing, that should save some time. Im heading there Monday-Tuesday to set it up in the boat and water test. if I get some numbers I will post them
Old 08-17-2010, 09:03 PM
Registered

Got it off the dyno worked all day until about 7pm got the motor in the boat, hooked up, the drive on. Tomorrow will fire it up on the hose make sure everything is good and water test it. it made about 100 ft/lbs more torque Peak @ 5400, 1085tq, and about 130hp more Hp peak 1220 @ 6400 where we stoped the pull, It would make some more. this was with the slowest pulley setup we have the comps are with the same pulley setup not the max. which netted 14.9psi @ 6400 on the dyno which will change in the boat. I will report tomorrow. Or sink it..
Old 08-17-2010, 09:49 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Sounds like you're headed in the right direction.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds good. Let's here some speed numbers this time... Noticed that has been absent from all previous posts. Come on Don, let us in on the big number...
Old 08-18-2010, 10:27 PM
Registered

The GPS is working now. The numbers last time were nothing to write home about. Lots of prop slip. 28% on the 32 and 22% on the 34. Remember these are cut down to fit with my SCX upper and SC -3 lower. They are 14 3/8 diameter. Brett got the 32 down to 20%, I am going to send the 34 to him I got a rock or something stuck between the prop and cav plate wadded a blade and made a big grove in the cav plate so that prop is out of the testing before being tested,,, sucks. It got me my best run last time. The 32 I could only turn 5500, boost was low there not making much hp. So we put a 1/2 spacer we custom made for the scx/sc no one makes one.... Anyway we put a labbed merc Maximus 30 on it got 5700 with 12psi and 105mph AF is 11.5 so there is more there. slip is down but I still need rpm to get into the boost and HP. I am going to try a maximus 28 tomorrow. I hope to get to 6300- 6400rpm.. with the 400 from the 2" pitch and then the boost coming on plus getting the mix to 11.8 or so, might get me 600 rpm we will see. Plus will help getting on plane. That RPM will get me 17psi. I get about 1 psi from 5500rpm up per 100rpm. The other option is to keep the rpms down run the blower faster and use a larger prop. But the largest issue is low end its still far from ideal, it is a pig getting on plane... especially with the large props. Im gonna say it but after all this i wonder if a whipple would have been much more user friendly and a ton more on the bottom. I dont get boost until 4200, so everything below that is a 8 to 1 motor with a big cam and a real PIG getting on plane I need 2500 to roll over and then its hold on and pull back fast because here it comes, but getting there from 1800-2500 is a task...
someone asked MAT is 109f it was mid 80's outside dont know the water temp would guess 70's, under hood must have been 100... The intercooler really works.
Any advise on the bottom end? The mix is really rich, but if i lean it out it pops thru the intake and cuts right out..
Old 08-18-2010, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

looks good just remember there is no free lunch lol
Old 08-18-2010, 10:28 PM
Registered

So far its slower than before but we will see after some more testing and tuning tomorrow...
Old 08-19-2010, 01:59 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Last edited by GPM; 08-19-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GPM
GPM, I got that...
Maybe in a Procharged motor a little more compression would help, because there is no boost down low more compression would be good.
Getting on plane: I moved the timing all around as with fuel. The ticket was a labbed Maximus, I pulled all the vents out and it planes good now. I just needed some more rpm. I cant lay on it, coming on easy works best, that's with a full tank. If I go wide open its actually worse. But really not bad at all coming on smoothly, rolls over at 2500 or so with the 5 blade and the vents out.
Made lots of progress today, I do hate the GPS it seems to have a mind of its own, works below 60-70 then when I would open it up it goes to 0 and then 50... I have had nothing but issues from new with it. Yesterday it worked fine. Maybe a satellite is down, lol
Anyway, the motor runs well, all the lean popping thru the intake is gone, very responsive, idle just needs some fine tuning. Had it perfect until the Maximus it really grabs water and the vents out are not helping at idle... but its not bad, just not perfect like before.
I am doing a fun run Saturday and will report.. I guess if everything is good the project is over... I learned a lot, I would do a few things differently next time, if I was to stick with the Procharger which I don't think I would do for a number of reasons. But if I did I might go with a smaller system that I could spool up sooner, I dont get any boost until 4,000rpm @ cruise and just some near 3500 @ wot. A smaller system would help that a lot. Maybe I would still work on a waste gate. If I could spool the M5 up but keep the boost down under 15psi up top that would help. The proble is when I put the faster pulley on it, it really came alive but by 6300 was over 20psi. I might try a few more cams. Winter project. The guys @ Teague told me I might get 30hp by swapping to big tops, that's not worth it at all...
I still have to get the prop worked some to fit with the scx/-3 sc combo. I dont want to use the spacer. If anyone wants I have a cut down 32 and 34 bravo props for this combo they are cut to 14 3/8 by BBlades and labbed.the 34 worked best before, but this time I wadded it before testing. I am sending it back to get some slip took out and blade straightened. I might try it again maybe Brett can add some vents or holes...
I may try designing a waste gate. and some more cams.. Winter project.
I will get some GPS numbers from my handheld, at my lake with less load (fuel an people). I had 90 gallons a full tank thru testing I would refill near 1/2 but all the wide open runs seemed to be on a full tank. I will be more comfortable running it lower closer to home. I hear teh SCX slows it down some.. May I will try the SC upper just to see.

The cam is set @ 5deg advanced. Its built into the setup.
Never saw over 110 temp on the IAT sensor. Really good intercooler..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.