Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Best way to fill in transom depthfinder holes? >

Best way to fill in transom depthfinder holes?

Notices

Best way to fill in transom depthfinder holes?

Old 12-24-2009, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Best way to fill in transom depthfinder holes?

Hey everyone my boat used to have a transducer mounted on the transom and I wanted to cover up the holes that are there. What is the best way to do this? do I use just silicone and stick it in the thread hole and finish it off with gelcoat or just silicon should do the trick what type of silicone if I do need to use it? Its got screws in there now because there no longer is a transducer but I wanted to make it look nicer than what it looks like. Thanks any help would be appreciated
Old 12-24-2009, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 272bajadriver
Hey everyone my boat used to have a transducer mounted on the transom and I wanted to cover up the holes that are there. What is the best way to do this? do I use just silicone and stick it in the thread hole and finish it off with gelcoat or just silicon should do the trick what type of silicone if I do need to use it? Its got screws in there now because there no longer is a transducer but I wanted to make it look nicer than what it looks like. Thanks any help would be appreciated
If it's only screw holes just a epoxy to seal it and gel. If it's bigger holes use wooden dowl with epoxy on it then gel.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah its only screw holes. Where do I get the epoxy from and does it have to be any kind of special epoxy? Also I bought silicon to put on the new transducer which I'm going to use can I use that silicon to seal it up or is epoxy the best? Reason why I need to seal those holes up is because the new transducer that I have doesn't line up with those holes so I have to cover them up
Old 12-24-2009, 09:55 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,950 Likes on 980 Posts

Use 3M 4200 to seal anything below the water line.
Silicone is NOT for below the water line.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:48 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Call this place. http://spectrumcolor.com/default.asp
They are the supplier for the original gel for your Baja. Give them your yr and color. The online product catologe was up just a couple days ago, but I see it is down. ???? Being the transom, it should be a real close match. Less sun damage. They have a gel repair kit that will include all you need to repair it correctly. The kits are about $20 each. I just ordered a qt of gel on Monday, recieved it Thur.
Or West Marine and the likes, have small general gel repair kits. about same price. I'm guessing it's white, you should be alright either way.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
Use 3M 4200 to seal anything below the water line.
Silicone is NOT for below the water line.
I thought 4200 was the UV protected sealant. Solely below the waterline, I thought 5200 was the sealant to use. Help me here if I am wrong.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ROTAX454
I thought 4200 was the UV protected sealant. Solely below the waterline, I thought 5200 was the sealant to use. Help me here if I am wrong.
You use 5200 if you "NEVER" want to remove it. 4200 if you plan on someday taking it off...I wanted to remove my Kplanes to reseal them and I could see I was going to be doing some glass work if I continued to try to take off.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:43 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,950 Likes on 980 Posts

4200 and 5200 are basically the same and can be used interchangeably. The only real difference between them is that 4200 has half the adhesive strength. 4200 also comes in a Fast Cure version which only takes about an hour to almost completely set. 5200 is for permanent applications. 4200 is for semi-permanent.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:51 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ROTAX454

Only difference between 4200 and 5200 is the strength. If you want UV protection, use 4000.
All 3 are good for above and below water line.