Notices

489 Stroker cam ?

Old 12-30-2009, 11:13 PM
Registered

Received 123 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks picklenjim and Getrdunn. I guess you all have felt my pain before.
You all probably don’t know me but I have been around a few times. I’ve spent most of my time the last few months saving the race boat ( http://www.supernova19.com/nova_24_r...nova19_com.htm ) but for the most part I have been hot rodding boats and driving people on donzi (until they imploded) and iboats nuts until I started my own site a few years ago ( www.chinewalking.com ). There is always some project going on. For that matter, the left over’s from this 454 build is going in a 1973 19’ Monza this spring also. New motors for everyone this spring.
It’s long story but it started by buying 2 motors for the race boat and ended up with a donor motor for parts that was to nice to use as parts. So then I had 3 (two Gen V’s that are going in the race boat and a 4 bolt, Mark IV). I have a 2 bolt Mark IV in a 19’ Nova now (the boat I am building the stroker for, my fav) and was having a hard time putting the left over 4 bolt in the Monza (I plan on selling it) just to let it go while keeping the 2 bolt in my boat. If it was just for resale alone I have to keep the 4 bolt but there is other reasons. So after I rebuilt the 2 Gen V’s over the last couple months I have decided to keep the 4 bolt but for it to happen it has to be ready for spring so I can pull the parts off that I want to keep off of the 2 bolt and slap them on the 4 bolt and drop it back in it’s place. But then I was thinking and drinking one night and I came to the conclusion that it was a lot of work just to say I have a 4 bolt so what would make it worth it, buying the stroker parts at 4am Christmas morning. It wasn’t a rash decision as much as it sounds. I always wanted to do it but now it’s done.
Being the race boat is not going to be finished at the earliest late summer (not like it’s an everyday driver anyway) and the Monza needs the 2 bolt out of the Nova before I can put some of the left over’s from the garage on it and get it sold. And last, I wouldn’t even think about starting spring with the Nova down. It has to be a quick turn over. If that make any sense? So I have time but there is also a limit due to this is the starting point of everything else happening.
Also lets just say I am not above experimentation but I have had this motor out of this boat and put back in so many times there will be nothing left of the original motor (454, I wouldn’t even go into the Chrysler years) except the oil pan by this spring an it may not make it either.
I have pulling a motor down to a science at this point but like all good things, it has to come to an end sometime. So a cam upgrade or exhaust later is no big deal but I think you are right that I might as well get them out of the way first. I think my heads will do for now. I would like new heads but that’s money that needs to go toward the race boat restore. I do like the air gap intake and have them on all 4 of the 454’s I have at the moment. Mid range is just as important as top end to me. If I just wanted to “go” a shot of nitrous would fix that. Not saying it’s not as important. I mean honestly no one will have respect for a boat that has a “great cruising rpm” except for the guy buying the gas and replacing the broken parts of a wild ass motor. Until a bag of money drops out of the sky for that 572ci I’ve got what I’ve got so I’m trying to make the best of it. Let’s just cross our fingers that some how I find a roller cam and lifters I can afford. I figure I can find exhaust easy enough and for that matter I think if I install taller risers on the GLM’s I could get away with a pretty big cam.
Looks like I have some research to do.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:24 AM
Registered

Received 1,285 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname
Very nice!!!
Old 12-31-2009, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Way Cool....
Old 01-01-2010, 04:11 PM
Registered

Thank you.
The raceboat is turning out to be pretty simple but expensive. I'm lucky I have some good friends to help out (Mad Poodle).
The 19 has been a 10 year long affair. Better then any Tiger Woods affair. I can ride her hard and put her away wet. It does cost money when I want to ride her and the harder I want to ride the more it costs but if I don’t want to deal with her and everything that goes with it I can throw a tarp over her and be done with it. I bet Tiger wishes he could do that.
Oh and the wife know about mine and never has chased me down the driveway with a 5 Iron. Maybe a CC bill but not a 5 Iron.

Last edited by f_inscreenname; 01-01-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Thank you.
The raceboat is turning out to be pretty simple but expensive. I'm lucky I have some good friends to help out (Mad Poodle).
The 19 has been a 10 year long affair. Better then any Tiger Woods affair. I can ride her hard and put her away wet. It does cost money when I want to ride her and the harder I want to ride the more it costs but if I don’t want to deal with her and everything that goes with it I can throw a tarp over her and be done with it. I bet Tiger wishes he could do that.
Oh and the wife know about mine and never has chased me down the driveway with a 5 Iron. Maybe a CC bill but not a 5 Iron.
That's to funny. Never knew he was such a slut. Gotta feel bad for the Bro though.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now there's a thought. And should be a lot cheaper then buying 2 more cams (flat then roller).
So you think the 465 cam would work or just get me by? I really want to see a change this time even if I have to bite the bullet. After I found this motor in a corn field in PA I built it pretty much stock 330 mercruiser and it was OK but..... This past spring I did the square heads and speed pro .210 domed pistons and the cam, springs, lifters and pushrods mentioned before. I am sad to say it just didn't seem worth the time, money and work to change it all out.
Nothing like when I changed out the Thunderbolt ignition with a MSD type. 200rpm's @ WOT out of the box.
So if it is between me have big smile on my face or a ho hummm look I will buy the other cam even if it turns out to be temporary.
If you decide to go with the 1.8's, I am currently taking some off of two very low hour(130) motors. They are harland sharp and I have always used them and have never had ONE problem with there product!!!! Let me know,I'll be around $125 a set +ship. Thanks, Rob
Old 01-06-2010, 07:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by speedreeder
If you decide to go with the 1.8's, I am currently taking some off of two very low hour(130) motors. They are harland sharp and I have always used them and have never had ONE problem with there product!!!! Let me know,I'll be around $125 a set +ship. Thanks, Rob
Hey, thanks for the offer but I'm not sure what the budget is going to work out to be. I want roller so bad I can taste it but one way or another a new cam pattern is in order for the stroker.