Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
How often to change the sea pump? >

How often to change the sea pump?

Notices

How often to change the sea pump?

Old 03-21-2010, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

All of you guys have valid points, but I dont agree with some of you on when to change the impeller. I am in Fort Worth, Texas and when I put my boat up for the down season, I pull the sea pump and pull the impeller out and leave everything on the work bench. Sometime around the middle of March and no later than the middle of April, I put it back together with a NEW impeller and put the sea pump back on the motor. This way the new impeller does not sit in the housing for very long and try to take a set. I also use motor oil on the impeller for luberication until the water starts to flow eleminating a dry start. The main thing here is that I replace the impeller every year...regardless of the amount of time I have on it. Its $30.00 for an impeller against up to $20.000.00 for a new motor. Its up to you when you change it, so if you are a big time gambler...run it for 2 years...or just take your chances. If the impeller lets go while you are out buzzing across the water...usually by the time the horn goes off, the fat lady is singing and its too late. I dont know about the rest of you guys, but I cant afford to cook a motor because I was defiant and didnt want to spend $30.00 and take the time to replace it.

I might also add that only a FOOL will pull out an impeller...turn the impeller over and then put it back to run again.

Last edited by pslonaker; 03-21-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PSlonaker
All of you guys have valid points, but I dont agree with some of you on when to change the impeller. I am in Fort Worth, Texas and when I put my boat up for the down season, I pull the sea pump and pull the impeller out and leave everything on the work bench. Sometime around the middle of March and no later than the middle of April, I put it back together with a NEW impeller and put the sea pump back on the motor. This way the new impeller does not sit in the housing for very long and try to take a set. I also use motor oil on the impeller for luberication until the water starts to flow eleminating a dry start. The main thing here is that I replace the impeller every year...regardless of the amount of time I have on it. Its $30.00 for an impeller against up to $20.000.00 for a new motor. Its up to you when you change it, so if you are a big time gambler...run it for 2 years...or just take your chances. If the impeller lets go while you are out buzzing across the water...usually by the time the horn goes off, the fat lady is singing and its too late. I dont know about the rest of you guys, but I cant afford to cook a motor because I was defiant and didnt want to spend $30.00 and take the time to replace it.

I might also add that only a FOOL will pull out an impeller...turn the impeller over and then put it back to run again.

Motor oil would work, personally, I use dish soap, it lubricates very well, and it dissolves and washes out as soon as the water starts flowing, Just my thoughts

Michael
Old 03-21-2010, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

[B]You are right on the dish washing soap if you are going to start it within a day or so. After that I have found that the soap sorta gells up or gets hard. Maybe it was the type of soap I used one time...dont know. The motor oil works good and doesnt setup on you so if you had to, you could go without starting it for a while. I have also used Johnson & Johnson baby oil. Course, I guess the polution cops would have a field day with me over the oil thing tho.[/B]
Old 03-21-2010, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A little vaseline works well too for dry start up situtations.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:43 AM
Registered

Received 4,726 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Originally Posted by 502ss
Thats what she said
Old 03-22-2010, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are we still talking about impellers ?
Old 03-22-2010, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You know when I posted my comment I said to myself "boy this is going to open the flood gates for the off topic comments"

since were on the subject KY jelly would work the same and I am not sure were still talking about impellers!
Maybe there are volume discounts on Vaseline and KY being offered as part of the new health plan? I was just figuring the must of used truck loads of the stuff to help the bill pass and will use truck loads more when our goverments bends us all over!
Old 03-22-2010, 04:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know when I posted my comment I said to myself "boy this is going to open the flood gates for the off topic comments"

since were on the subject KY jelly would work the same and I am not sure were still talking about impellers!
Maybe there are volume discounts on Vaseline and KY being offered as part of the new health plan? I was just figuring the must of used truck loads of the stuff to help the bill pass and will use truck loads more when our goverments bends us all over!

I cant IMAGINE why you guys are against the new Health Care reform? As a "proud" Canadian, I can safely say its just amazing! Our "free" Healthcare only costs the taxpayer [ie: ME!] about $1,000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000 a month [give or take a few billion] nearly 1 person out of 10 actually has a family Doctor and the average time spent in a clinic waiting room is "down" to about 3-4 hours, Whats NOT to like?

Trust me, its sucks, and your gonna hate it, hopefully you dont get shafted into paying the wonderful Health Care "premium", which after big business complained, "magically" became a Health care "Tax" [businesses weren't required to pay the "tax", but, would have to pay the "premium" under the collective agreements of most contracts]

No wonder most of our politians fly to the US to have medical procedures performed. The idea of being a hard working American [or Canadian] and knowing your Health care dollars are being used to medicate millions of people in the country illegally and/or have never worked a day in there life makes it much easier to sleep at nite too.

Its a sad day for my friends in the South.
Michael
Old 03-22-2010, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by n20michael
I cant IMAGINE why you guys are against the new Health Care reform? As a "proud" Canadian, I can safely say its just amazing! Our "free" Healthcare only costs the taxpayer [ie: ME!] about $1,000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000 a month [give or take a few billion] nearly 1 person out of 10 actually has a family Doctor and the average time spent in a clinic waiting room is "down" to about 3-4 hours, Whats NOT to like?

Trust me, its sucks, and your gonna hate it, hopefully you dont get shafted into paying the wonderful Health Care "premium", which after big business complained, "magically" became a Health care "Tax" [businesses weren't required to pay the "tax", but, would have to pay the "premium" under the collective agreements of most contracts]

No wonder most of our politians fly to the US to have medical procedures performed. The idea of being a hard working American [or Canadian] and knowing your Health care dollars are being used to medicate millions of people in the country illegally and/or have never worked a day in there life makes it much easier to sleep at nite too.

Its a sad day for my friends in the South.
Michael
Ha... Health care reform, you say? What's that??? All that passed so far is a big fatass tax bill that's going to continue to hurt the economy. No benefits (if you can call them that) can be derived from this chit-sandwich until 2014, and then we get to get in line with the rest of the countries that can't stand their socialized health care... Weeeeee!!!!

Last edited by wjb21ndtown; 03-22-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Thats what she said

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.