Notices

4.3 standing for 3 years

Old 07-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.3 standing for 3 years

I've just gotten a cheap RIB with a 4.3 vortec, which has been standing for about 3 years.
The engine is full of clean oil, and only has 93 verified hours but the previous owner doesn't seem to remember if he winterized it before storing it.
The bilge had quite a bit of water and oil in it, but there is no oil leak. The engine turns freely, but has a lot of corrosion.
I am planning to change all the coolant pipes, riser gaskets, water and fuel pumps, alternator and starter, and rebuild the carb.
Should i worry about anything else, such as valve stem oil seals, head gaskets or even piston rings?

Would appreciate any advice.

Regards,
Nick.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 187 Likes on 73 Posts

Personally, I'd take a hard look at the possibility that it wasn't winterized properly and may have cracked a few things before I'd pour money into many of the other things you've mentioned. If the block is cracked for instance, you're going to have a totally different list of high dollar parts you'll need first. I'd suggest a compression and leak down test to begin.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:26 PM
Registered

The weather in Greece is quite nice, so the chance of cracking anything is very low. Also, the engine is fresh water cooled and flushed, so not much water to expand.

Thank you for your reply and suggestions. I will do a leakdown and compression test before i spend any money.

Regards,
Nick
Old 07-11-2010, 09:58 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome to the site! From your original post I thought you may have been from out of the US. I have customers that are from Greece and they tell me how great it is there. Take some pictures and post them that may help us point you in the right direction.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:19 AM
Registered

Sadly, most of the anciliaries on the engine, including the exhausts, are fubar, the compression is low, and it needs all the pipes and hoses changed. The outdrive is not very well too, gear oil in the bellows, some play in the gimbal, and needs a trim pump assembly and all its hoses. The boat is ok though, so i will repower with a 4.3 mpi and not miss the season, Thank you for the responses, I do have some pics, will post them when i get some time
Old 07-17-2010, 03:09 PM
Registered

Fresh water freezes at a higher temperature than salt water. It would be worse if it got cold.