Notices

Replaced Impeller

Old 09-07-2010, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The motor is running right around 180 at WOT, which is tickling the temp hi light on the gauge. The other motor doesnt go above 160-170? You can definitely tell that the motor I replaced the impeller is still running too warm by the gauges. So I get this straight, I dont have an oil cooler? I am pretty sure I got all the pieces of the impeller, but is there anywhere else I can look? Would a few small pieces of rubber really cause a drastic rise in temp? I am going to look into replacing the T-stat.

Engine got hot but noticed the light before the alarm even sounded. Motored home single engine, so I am pretty sure I didnt smoke the engine. Only replaced one impeller, but plan on doing the other next chance I get.

Last edited by diverkr; 09-07-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 797 Likes on 376 Posts

i would look into a new thermostat as mentioned...

did you check your raw water intake to make sure you didnt suck up any seaweed, etc
Old 09-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Registered

How do I check the raw water intake? I apologize for the idiot questions but I am new to maintaining my own boat. I am pretty handy, but need some direction.

Stopped at West Marine and picked up a thermostat. How do I know which one to get? I picked up a Quicksilver 160 degree but not sure if this is correct for my motor.

Last edited by diverkr; 09-08-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:38 PM
Registered

Old 09-09-2010, 05:45 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

remove the t-stat from the GOOD running motor and mark it 'good'. remove the t-stat from the HOT running motor and mark it 'hot'.

Now swap t-stats from one motor to the other and try that. If the problem shifted to the good running motor, you know you have a bad stat. If the problem exists on the same motor, you know yoiu have a blockage or water flow problem somewhere in that motor.

Sometimes you think you backflushed it enough only there are still some stuck pieces that need alittle more pressure to come loose.

Last edited by hp500efi; 09-09-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by diverkr
How do I check the raw water intake? I apologize for the idiot questions but I am new to maintaining my own boat. I am pretty handy, but need some direction.

Stopped at West Marine and picked up a thermostat. How do I know which one to get? I picked up a Quicksilver 160 degree but not sure if this is correct for my motor.
It probably is wrong as in the break down you need two gaskets and the plastic ring.You will more than likely break that ring so just get a new one.It may not be that but when throwingt parts at stuff start with the cheap stuff first.They have probably never been changed anyway.

Also did you put a temp gun on the engine to see what its really running at?
Old 09-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Registered

No, I do not have a temp gun. Can you borrow that from an auto parts store?
Old 09-09-2010, 07:38 PM
Registered

Just replaced the thermostat. The kit I bought contained the proper gasket. I guess I will have to wait until I take the boat out this weekend to determine a difference. Just to verify that I am doing things properly.

How do you backflush the cooling system to ensure all rubber pieces are retrieved?

Thanks guys for all your help and advice so far.

Last edited by diverkr; 09-09-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:06 PM
Registered

Replaced the impeller on the stbd motor and decided to swap pumps to see if port water pump is bad. Port motor is still running too warm (around 170 at idle). Took it out in the bay to see if I had any changes when running high RPM. Above 4000 RPM water temp creeps up above 180, hi temp light comes on for a few secs, and then the temp falls off back to 170 or so. This cycle repeats. I have pulled lots of hoses looking for missed impeller pieces. Anything else I can do before I take my boat in for service? Thought about switching temp sensors between the 2 motors.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did you make out with this?