Notices

Engine swap...HELP...

Old 09-13-2010, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine swap...HELP...

Hi all,

I have a 36ft Falcon Bonito. I bought it with two GM 5.7 and Alpha 1 drives. Engines were good apart from one water pump and a starter solenoid. The drives were noisey and needed complete hydraulics.

I have recently bought two 6.5 chevy diesels, set up to peninsular engines spec and with peninsular parts. They have twin turbo´s on each engine and velvet box´s. The drives are TRS 400´s.

My question is. What do you all think, about this engine / drive combination. I don´t want to cut the transom for older drives, if the benefits are not great. I might have to change the engine bay, to take the extra length (with box´s) of the engines also.

I was thinking of swapping the box´s and TRS drives, for a pair of Bravo drives, or something similar. I think this will keep the original mountin possitions and save a lot of work. There are many questions that need to be answered but I guess the most important is, What would be the best setup, for these engines?

The boat will be used for pleasure only but as the owner of a 21ft Phantom, with 200hp on the back, I do like a bit of speed.

Any information or advice would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Pete
Old 09-13-2010, 07:32 PM
Registered

How much torque are the diesels putting out
Old 09-13-2010, 09:47 PM
Registered

are you selling the old engines
Old 09-13-2010, 10:10 PM
Registered

I would suggest a swap to Bravo 1X, if I'm correct, they are the diesel version of the B1 and thus should be rated for more torque. I wouldn't let the Alpha's anywhere near those motors as I doubt they would survive 1 minute. With the tq those engines will turn, you could spin a decent prop at low revs for speed and fuel econ.
You'll definately need to upgrade the motor mounts and probably increase airlow as well to feed the turbos. Enclosed cooling would be the best route for circulation IMO.
I've seen quite a few Bravo3s behind diesels but then you'd have to pay for 4 props...

Just some food for thought.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by firehawkcat
How much torque are the diesels putting out
Hi, I´m not sure of the torque, will try to find out. Aparently they should be pushing out 330hp

Thanks

Pete
Old 09-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by steve-ram
are you selling the old engines
Hi, Yes, engines are for sale, if I am offered the right money. They can be seen here, http://s751.photobucket.com/albums/x...ngine%20Video/ thought it was a good idea to have video of at least one running, before I took them out. I have run the other on and it was the same but I have removed the water pump and wouldn´t run her dry.

Thanks

Pete
Old 09-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ghostrider
I would suggest a swap to Bravo 1X, if I'm correct, they are the diesel version of the B1 and thus should be rated for more torque. I wouldn't let the Alpha's anywhere near those motors as I doubt they would survive 1 minute. With the tq those engines will turn, you could spin a decent prop at low revs for speed and fuel econ.
You'll definately need to upgrade the motor mounts and probably increase airlow as well to feed the turbos. Enclosed cooling would be the best route for circulation IMO.
I've seen quite a few Bravo3s behind diesels but then you'd have to pay for 4 props...

Just some food for thought.
Thanks for that Ghostrider, that all makes sense. I would have just enough room for the complete setups, as they are (was measuring everything today) but would prefer more room in the engine bay.

What would you suggest as the best way to increase airflow, without allowing water into the engine bay? They are "Enclosed cooling" with oil, in line and gearbox coolers and wet exhaust systems.

The mountings in the boat now, are a huge "RSJ" style beam, from one side to the other, photos can be seen in photo below.

I guess I need to find a couple of reasonable priced Bravo 1X´s then?

Thanks

Pete
Old 09-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Registered

Default Photos

The second shows the original engines in the boat, with front mounting beam.

First is the new engine

Sorry, I can´t put photos on, so I have put them here http://s751.photobucket.com/albums/x.../OffshoreOnly/
Old 09-14-2010, 07:21 PM
Registered

sounds like an interesting project. keep the thread going and post your progress.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:34 PM
Registered

Ghostrider is correct bravo 1X used to be called bravo 1diesel, my 600hp made short work of it(trashed gears)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.