More RPM from 7.4 Merc Bravo I? >

More RPM from 7.4 Merc Bravo I?

Notices

More RPM from 7.4 Merc Bravo I?

Old 10-12-2010, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gcsprayjr
Is this pressure test somthing that a shop should be able to do?
He likely already has a set-up. All you need is a plate to seal off the top and a fitting installed in place of your water inlet to push air. It can be done on/in the boat.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 02

Originally Posted by Underdog88
Heads, Carb and intake will give you some help, but not 10mph.
Again... if you have the original merc manifolds and raw water cooled... watch out for them leaking.
Maybe when you winterize at least pull the risers and have a look for and signs of rust/water in the ports. They can be pressure tested on the boat easily as well.
My 02 cents: I don't have a huge problem with with water freezing out here in California fortunately but two things I do while winterizing my boat at the end of the season is pull the lower hoses off the manifolds to drain the water out of them and open the petcock on my block and drain the water from there also.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:55 AM
Registered

I spoke with our mechanic yesterday. They are going to pressure test the manifolds, however they told me that they think it is a waste of money. They said that if a leak developed, it will start off as a small leak, causing a plug to foul, and the engine to skip, which is a good indicator that a manifold is leaking. They do not believe that there is any chance of a catastrophic failure. They said that it is my money, so they will do what ever I want them to do. I told them that it will make me feel better if they check it.

As for the winterization they drain everything, including the oil cooler, then remove the thermostate, and pour it full of the pink antifreeze. They close everything back up, and it is ready to drop in the lake next spring. We do get some zero temps, however I store both boats in a heated garage that is right next to my house, so I can keep an eye on the temp.

As for mods, I am going to wait until I have problems with this engine, then have a new crate engine with forged parts dropped in place of it. I think that it does not make much since to start adding pieces to this engine, espically since it has 350 hours on it and runs like a clock. I can't justify paying shop labor rates to install anything used, so I will wait until I have to have major repairs done, and have it done right the first time.

Thanks to everyone for tips and input.

If anyone has eny experience with USEngine, I will love to hear what kind of work they do?
Old 10-14-2010, 02:45 PM
Registered

I would like to hear any opinions of USEngine as well. I have the same setup as gcsprayjr and I dropped a valve in cyl 1 over Memorial Day weekend this year. Still weighing my options of how to get back on the water next spring, but USEngine is being considered.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Here try this place. I purchased 2 this spring.
They run great. These all come from the same place GM.

http://www.1800runsnew.com/newbase-details-NLM.html#502
Old 10-14-2010, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by som beach
I would like to hear any opinions of USEngine as well. I have the same setup as gcsprayjr and I dropped a valve in cyl 1 over Memorial Day weekend this year. Still weighing my options of how to get back on the water next spring, but USEngine is being considered.
Have you called them? What you will find is they will rebuild your current engine for that price..So if you currently have a 454 magnum motor with the square heads they will rebuild what you have. From what Ive heard on US Engine their warranty isnt worth much (they dont stand behind their product). I live just a few miles from them and opted to have a local shop rebuild mine last summer rather than use them.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 1BIGJIM
Here try this place. I purchased 2 this spring.
They run great. These all come from the same place GM.

http://www.1800runsnew.com/newbase-details-NLM.html#502
Thanks for the link!

New is always better. Will the 502 bolt in where the 7.4 is, without a bunch of mods?
Old 10-15-2010, 02:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Powerquest_Baby!!
Have you called them? What you will find is they will rebuild your current engine for that price..So if you currently have a 454 magnum motor with the square heads they will rebuild what you have. From what Ive heard on US Engine their warranty isnt worth much (they dont stand behind their product). I live just a few miles from them and opted to have a local shop rebuild mine last summer rather than use them.
I would not have a problem with a good rebuilder using my block to build the engine that I want, provided that the engine has the basic items covered like a four bolt main, and other desirable features. There are some good rebuilders around who can make an engine into just about anything one is willing to pay for. For many years we used Parker Rebuilders in Moultrie GA to build truck engines, and got more miles from the rebuilt ones then we did from the OEM ones.

No point in dealing with a rebuilder who does not stand behind their product. Thanks for the infor on US Engine. It may just be best to save my money for a new OEM engine.

I am sort of thinking about a 502 with EFI, bolted to my existing Bravo I.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:03 AM
Registered

I did call US Engine after mine broke. Sounded like they are selling re-man engines with a core charge, like Jasper engines. The guy I spoke with said the price on the website is exchange, so 3400 plus 1000 core to get the new re-man engine delivered. Then return my old long block and get the core charge back, if it is rebuildable. The waranty would be the issue. When I asked about how that works, being they are in Washington and I am in Iowa, they said they work with shops all over the country. So if something broke, I would not have to ship the motor to them. If I go with them, I will pull the details of the waranty and go thru them with a fine tooth comb before any money changes hands.