engine advice for budget build neeped-combos & parts you have used >

engine advice for budget build neeped-combos & parts you have used

Notices

engine advice for budget build neeped-combos & parts you have used

Old 11-11-2010, 10:16 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cigboat1
Perfect example of what I was talking about ------------in last post !

Jim
no offence and call me crazy but i think i can get more then 502 hp for 8 grand. maybe thats a dumb assumption?
Old 11-11-2010, 11:18 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I enjoyed doing the rebuild. There's a sense of awe when you fire up your own creation. Also like you I was in no hurry. I had several long block failures so I wanted to blame no one but myself this time. I also wanted to show my son the guts of a BBC... he's now in college going for a mechanical engineering degree.

For total cost I think it's all a matter of quality. but if 8g's were my budget i'd be unhappy if i didn't pull off a reliable 650hp. I would have got all the parts above but would have started with more cubes and better heads.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a nice 700+ motor new purchase outright for $11k

...aftermarket block(bow-tie), crower crank and rods, JE pistons, dart pro1 heads --complete motor carb to oil pan!!!
hard to beat that if your gonna spend the money.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:45 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 971 Posts

You combo is fine and all the components work well together. If you start changing stuff, you are going to end up having to almost start over.
In order to make 600-650hp reliably, you are going to need a 502 or better yet a 540. That means a totally different combo with new heads, cam, intake and carb. You ar enot going to make that hp with your heads or rect ports. I can't remember what exhaust you have, but you may need to upgrade that as well.

Other things to take into consideration.......

You will absolutlely NEED full hydraulic steering
The drive will not last and will need to be upgraded
New prop

IMO, you would be much better off saving the $$$ for the next boat. You will never recoup 20cents on the dollar for what you will need to spend.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:12 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=jackhammer;3251660]Personally I enjoyed doing the rebuild. There's a sense of awe when you fire up your own creation. Also like you I was in no hurry. I had several long block failures so I wanted to blame no one but myself this time. I also wanted to show my son the guts of a BBC... he's now in college going for a mechanical engineering degree.QUOTE]

im with you on that, it is one of the best feelings in the world firing up a motor that you built yourself (and it working lol)

griff i am thinking on those same lines at this point. i was talking to the other half about it last night and i am going to do some other upgrades and see if i can get some more power out of this motor. i have gils with hp500 pipes on it right now so i think the ehaust will be good for most anything that i might run in the future. i am however going to still start another build on the side, do you think that the 502 is the way to go even verse a 454 with a stroker kit? i also am looking for steering and have k planes that are going on as soon as i find pumps for them.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

[QUOTE=regalman4925;3251739]
Originally Posted by jackhammer
Personally I enjoyed doing the rebuild. There's a sense of awe when you fire up your own creation. Also like you I was in no hurry. I had several long block failures so I wanted to blame no one but myself this time. I also wanted to show my son the guts of a BBC... he's now in college going for a mechanical engineering degree.QUOTE]

im with you on that, it is one of the best feelings in the world firing up a motor that you built yourself (and it working lol)

griff i am thinking on those same lines at this point. i was talking to the other half about it last night and i am going to do some other upgrades and see if i can get some more power out of this motor. i have gils with hp500 pipes on it right now so i think the ehaust will be good for most anything that i might run in the future. i am however going to still start another build on the side, do you think that the 502 is the way to go even verse a 454 with a stroker kit? i also am looking for steering and have k planes that are going on as soon as i find pumps for them.
With no other changes IE cams, heads etc, just going to 496 cubes might not gain you much speed. I'd get a 502 block, and stroke that to 540 cubes...
Old 11-12-2010, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 310 Likes on 182 Posts

I wouldn't reuse the oil cooler. They can not be cleaned out.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

http://www.competitionproducts.com/T...nfo/SBSR502MD/
Old 11-13-2010, 02:22 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 971 Posts

[QUOTE=regalman4925;3251739]
Originally Posted by jackhammer
Personally I enjoyed doing the rebuild. There's a sense of awe when you fire up your own creation. Also like you I was in no hurry. I had several long block failures so I wanted to blame no one but myself this time. I also wanted to show my son the guts of a BBC... he's now in college going for a mechanical engineering degree.QUOTE]

I would go 502 for sure over a 496 stroker. It leaves room for more increased HP later.

Gils are good to about 600hp.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:16 AM
Registered

problem with a 502 is finding a block for a reasonable price, i can find 454 blocks all day long and a stroker kit for one is cheap. if i could touch 600hp with a 454, a stroker kit and some aftermarket heads i would be happy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.