Notices

Trim pump wiring

Old 02-16-2011, 11:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trim pump wiring

Hey guys,
I am having a bit of trouble getting my trim pump wired so I can transport the boat to the shop. I have an old TRS drive with a prestolite pump. I got a new throttle with a trim switch with 3 wires. The boat currently has no wiring in it and I need to know how to get the drive to go up and down temporary. I also plan to bypass the trim limit switch. I found an old TRS manual put still couldnt figure the wiring out. If anyone could help I would really appreciate it.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:17 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

On the pump motor you will see 3 wires coming out of it. Black wire is Ground, Blue wire is positive UP, Green wire is positive Down. They go to the 2 solenoids. One solenoid is up the other is for down. There should be a heavy gauge Red wire and a heavy Black wire coming from the battery to the selenoids but you say there is no wiring so I don't know if you even have that. Basically what you need to do just to raise and lower it is run a ground wire from the battery negative to the terminal which the black wire coming out of the pump motor is connected to. Then connect a heavy wire to the positive terminal on the battery and touch it to the terminal on the solenoid that the Blue wire coming from the pump motor is connected to. This will raise it. Touch it to the terminal on the other selenoid which the Green wire coming from the pump motor is connected to and it will lower.This is just to get the drive up and down for now.

On your trim switch one of the wires is the hot or Pos coming into the switch. The other 2 are the hot going out, 1 for up and 1 for down. They will need to go back to the selenoids and be connected to the terminals that have the smaller gauge Blue and Green wires on them. Should be a plug on the selenoid bracket where they originally would have plugged into coming from the trim switch. Beings you only have 3 wires and not 4 on your new throttle trim switch the limit switch won't be in the circuit anyway because you will have no Trailer position on your new switch . That's why the diagram shows 4 wires coming from the throttle. One was for trailer position which bypassed the limit switch to raise the drive all the way up. You will be bypassing it if you run your blue wire from the switch all the way back to the selenoid.

Last edited by picklenjim; 02-17-2011 at 12:28 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:24 PM
Registered

Thanks for the help. I will see if I can get this drive to move.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:53 PM
Registered

My pump only has one solenoid. I got the drive to raise up but sank back down within a few min with no fluid leaking anywhere. I could not get the pump to run down. All the pump wiring diagrams I have seen show two solenoids but the bracket I have fits one and does not look like it has been altered. Can anyone give me some guidance?
Old 03-01-2011, 12:17 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You must have a really old pump for it to be the one solenoid design. On those only the UP (blue wire) was controlled through the solenoid. The down (green wire) ran directly off the trim switch. Should be able to jump a hot wire directly to the green to make it run down. As far as the drive leaking down you may need to bleed the system by running the drive up and down several times. Be sure the reservoir is kept full at all times. Stop and check it frequently while running it up and down. Only run about half way up and stop and check fluid level.Should only have to run it up and down 4-5 times to bleed. If it still keeps leaking down there may be a problem in the valve body on the bottom of the pump assuming there are no leaks anywhere.Give me an email address and I will send you the wiring diagram for the single solenoid system from the manual if you would like.