Notices

502 MPI upgrade results

Old 01-11-2012, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pismo10
Did you have to turn up the fuel pressure?
Curious about this as well? I know Hardin makes an adjustable fuel pressure regulator add on for 502 mpi's. That would probably work pretty well with this set up.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:03 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
I just got this off the dyno a couple days ago and think this is a great little package for the 502. The cam is from Bob Madara, the tune is from Mark Boos. Stock 502mpi with the intake dividers cut down and a bit of porting, stainless marine exhaust, run on the dyno with all accessories, wet exhaust through GGB mufflers. It idles at 600rpm and the tune was perfect. You could bump the rev limiter up and make a bit more. It made 508hp just before it hit the limiter at 5350rpm. Thanks again to Bob and Mark!
Haxby, can you provide details of the intake modificaitons?
Thanks.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Inspector
Haxby, can you provide details of the intake modificaitons?
Thanks.
he changed the length of the dividers to replicate a different length runner. I have played and tuned that length...which I've spent a lot of time and $ doing....I'm sure this gentleman would be happy to take your parts and modify them for your needs???...just speculating here.

you can make a bunch of power with a 502 MPI and I've done it. I would not recommend it to ANYONE that doesn't have a lot of engine background a, dyno and all the equipment to build and test it every step of the way....Pull your MPI's and send them to someone like this guy that does it for a living. i know many that tossed the mpi system and replaced it with carb setups.

as a side note i never liked the 500 efi's....i always used the 500hp carbs in the race boats until i was forced to use the 525's....they look cooler and make more power than advertised and can easily make more within minutes.

thanks for sharing your thread with us OSO'ers

Last edited by audacity; 01-12-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:00 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Inspector
Haxby, can you provide details of the intake modificaitons? Thanks
The Hot Boats articles!
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-hot-boat.html

Smitty's play by play!
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ghlight=intake
Old 01-13-2012, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's funny, I have those old magazines and was just wondering if Haxby had a different mod for the intake.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:30 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I cut down the tops and opened them up, and cut down the dividers. I went as deep as I could in the ports from both sides to blend it all in. I later tried an extrude honed intake but didn't pick up anything significant over the original mods, the extra flow may have helped a more aggressive build but this one has a mild cam and is still the stock compression. The heads are completely stock with just a bit of clean up work. We originally did the engine two years ago but didn't have time to dyno it. It ran flawlessly for about 60 hours until an injector quit and took out a cylinder. Luckily it was right at the end of our short season here so we re-did it last spring and got a chance to dyno it. It got about 120 hours on last year and other then some electrical gremlins has been trouble free. The engine quit a couple times due to a bad connector in the MEFI harness, and for some reason it went through two IAC motors. Rather then messing around with old wiring and the old MEFI I decided to yank it all off and throw on a Vic Jr intake with Holley throttle body EFI. Should be on the dyno next week, I'll post the results as soon as they're done.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:43 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by audacity
he changed the length of the dividers to replicate a different length runner. I have played and tuned that length...which I've spent a lot of time and $ doing....I'm sure this gentleman would be happy to take your parts and modify them for your needs???...just speculating here.

you can make a bunch of power with a 502 MPI and I've done it. I would not recommend it to ANYONE that doesn't have a lot of engine background a, dyno and all the equipment to build and test it every step of the way....Pull your MPI's and send them to someone like this guy that does it for a living. i know many that tossed the mpi system and replaced it with carb setups.

as a side note i never liked the 500 efi's....i always used the 500hp carbs in the race boats until i was forced to use the 525's....they look cooler and make more power than advertised and can easily make more within minutes.

thanks for sharing your thread with us OSO'ers
Tries sending you a PM but your box is full......interested in making more power in my 525's...sorry for the highjack.

Mike
Old 01-19-2012, 09:46 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

So, we pulled off the old ported intake, installed an untouched Vic Jr. and a Holley 900cfm TBI unit and changed nothing else.. Here's the results. Interestingly, and this ties in with another thread in general tech right now, the 2" oval flame arrestor cost about 20hp and a bunch of torque. I think the long narrow passage an the sharp angled entry really killed it. It's not a big deal for this app. but definitely worth noting. Without that restiction this thing is solidly in 500EFI territory power wise. This was on 87 octane too.
Attached Thumbnails 502 MPI upgrade results-haydendyno.jpg   502 MPI upgrade results-hayden-correction-factor.jpg   502 MPI upgrade results-hayden502.jpg  

502 MPI upgrade results-hayden502.png  
Old 01-20-2012, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 429 Likes on 260 Posts

Haxby, I believe that I have the white painted, ported and extrude honed manifold that came off this engine. I was planning on putting it on my 540 along with a larger throttle body. I think the stock intake is killing my top end as it will only turn about 5100rpm no matter what prop i put on it. Do you think this is going to be enough intake, or should I scrap it and put on something else? I have about 575hp now and looking for about 625. Also plan on dynoing before and after the intake swap to see exactly what happens.

Engine is 540CI, Edelbrock rect port marine heads, Madara custom cam, 9.2-1 compression, Imco powerflow exhaust.

I am really looking for a few more rpm than anything else. Maybe 5600-5800.
Thanks

Last edited by snapmorgan; 01-20-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:25 PM
Registered

I would call Bob back and ask him what intake would work best with his cam. He would know what rpm that cam would fall off at, and why you are stuck at 5100 if the cam has more rpm's left. imo...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.