Notices

Trim sending unit

Old 03-06-2011, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Trim sending unit

My trim sending unit has failed on my BravoI. I was told the gimbal had to be removed o replace at a cost of $500+. Any thoughts. Any other way?

Chris
Old 03-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No, it doesn't.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 183 Likes on 69 Posts

That's because Mercury wants you to replace the entire wiring harness from the sending unit, through the transom assembly and into the inside of the boat. This eliminates any chance of poor wire splicing technique causing problems down the road. It also guarantees your dealer a tidy profit.

Now, if you're half way handy with splicing connections to keep them water tight, you can do the whole job from outside the boat and remove nothing more than the sending unit itself. Hint, hint.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
Now, if you're half way handy with splicing connections to keep them water tight, you can do the whole job from outside the boat and remove nothing more than the sending unit itself. Hint, hint.
what about for a trs? I just purchased this kit for one of my drives; Trim Sender Kit - TR/TRS Drives (#805320A 2)
Old 03-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Its one bolt that can be removed with a swivel socket. To get the bolt back in, I tape it to the socket to get it started.
Trim sender Kit is up to $100, unplug old and plug in new.
No need to splice any wires.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BIGJIM
Its one bolt that can be removed with a swivel socket. To get the bolt back in, I tape it to the socket to get it started.
Trim sender Kit is up to $100, unplug old and plug in new.
No need to splice any wires.
This is the right way to do it and the way I have in the past. You can get away with the spliced wire in a pinch. Either way, I would look for a new marina to work on your stuff that is more honest. Clearly the outfit that told you the gimble had to be removed was attempting to relieve you of some of your hard earned money without earning it.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BDiggity
what about for a trs? I just purchased this kit for one of my drives; Trim Sender Kit - TR/TRS Drives (#805320A 2)
Just did my TRS last spring. Raise the drive in the trailer position and turn to port. Get ya a chair and sit on the starboard side and reach up in there from the bottom or with the right swivel and extensions and rachet. Quarter inch drive stuff works best. On the TRS it has 2 bolts on the retaining plate.

Last edited by picklenjim; 03-06-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Trim sending unit

Ok who in the Tampa Florida Area wants this job. I am willing to pay someone just not$ 500

Chris
727-599-1941
Old 03-06-2011, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Don't break the bolts!

Originally Posted by picklenjim
Just did my TRS last spring. Raise the drive in the trailer position and turn to port. Get ya a chair and sit on the starboard side and reach up in there from the bottom or with the right swivel and extensions and rachet. Quarter inch drive stuff works best. On the TRS it has 2 bolts on the retaining plate.
Agree. Just be real careful removing the retaining plate bolts (2). If they have not been out, they may be corroded in there and you can snap the head off real easy (I speak from experience ). Then you have a much bigger job on your hands!
Old 03-07-2011, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The warranty is void on the senders as soon as you cut the wires.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.