Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
puttin a motor in my boat, what else should i replace? >

puttin a motor in my boat, what else should i replace?

Notices

puttin a motor in my boat, what else should i replace?

Old 03-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 801 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BIGJIM
All new Gimbal Bearings can not be taken apart or greased.
I know they can't be greased, but I thought they still had the notches to pull the bearing out of the housing??
Old 03-07-2011, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow guys. Thanx for all the replies so far. I do have a question ....what is an alignment bar? As for the other things, some of the mentioned items have recently been replaced but I am gonna write down and price all of your suggestions and go from there. I wont be able to afford everything but I appreciate all the suggestions.

Sean
Old 03-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Registered

Oil drain kit about $30.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:41 PM
Registered

The Alignment bar allows you to adjust the engine up or down,so that the outdrive shaft goes in straight.
I've seen people put them in without but they were kicking them till they could start the nuts. NOT ADVISED!

If you do it this way you will be replacing the coupler. The coupler will strip out before you hurt the u-joints. Its not practical to purchase a alignment tool, if you know someone at a boat shop or maybe someone here on the board that has one you should ask to borrow/rent one.

By rent one I mean a case of beer of there choice
I hope this helps.

Last edited by RigMaster; 03-07-2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RigMaster
The Alignment bar allows you to adjust the engine up or down,so that the outdrive shaft goes in straight.
I've seen people put them in without but they were kicking them till they could start the nuts. NOT ADVISED!

If you do it this way you will be replacing the coupler. The coupler will strip out before you hurt the u-joints. Its not practical to purchase a alignment tool, if you know someone at a boat shop or maybe someone here on the board that has one you should ask to borrow/rent one.

By rent one I mean a case of beer of there choice
I hope this helps.
What if you just pulled the motor(s) to refresh without touching or adjusting the engine mounts, and/or removed the transom assemblies just to clean and paint?

At what point, or under what circumstances do you need the alignment tool?

Just wondering...
Old 03-08-2011, 12:03 AM
Registered

I would use the alignment tool in that situation also. The engine sits on rubber mounts. sometimes they may be worn and when you remove them may go back down different. I've seen a few people do it.

If I was going to do it I would use the bar. just in case it doesn't set back down the same. I know the brackets that are bolted to the stringer are not going to move but if the rubber is worn on the engine mounts it could end up different.

Like I said, I've seen it done without using the bar. But to be safe,I'd use a alignment bar. Hope this helps Haley'sComet.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:08 AM
Registered

Haley'sComet I just went over your reply again. If you remove the transom assembly. you definitely need to use the alignment bar. sorry for the confusion.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:14 AM
Registered

There is a member on this board that goes by 'whoya' that makes a very good and very reasonably priced alignment tool. For what he charges for it, there is no excuse not to buy it.

Here is his ebay store with some of the other tools he is making: http://motors.shop.ebay.com/whoya235...id=p4340.l2562

Last edited by c_deezy; 03-08-2011 at 03:34 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-08-2011, 12:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by c_deezy
There is a member on this board that goes by 'whoya' that makes are very good and very reasonably priced alignment tool. For what he charges for it, there is no excuse not to buy it.

Here is his ebay store with some of the other tools he is making: http://motors.shop.ebay.com/whoya235...id=p4340.l2562
Cool. For that price buy one. He has some cool stuff c_deezy.
I hope this helps him and Haley'sComet. Thanks for the link.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by RigMaster
Cool. For that price buy one. He has some cool stuff c_deezy.
I hope this helps him and Haley'sComet. Thanks for the link.
He does nice work. I bought the alignment tool and bearing installer, worked perfect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.