Notices

Carb Question...

Old 08-29-2011, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sb do you live on the east coast, i have a holley 650 dual feed electic choke, just had it cleaned do to bad fuel and now i cant get it to run right, it is runnig very rich ,its on a small block chevy about 380 to 400hp thank you
Old 08-29-2011, 09:04 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

I remember the days Holley carbs and Cragar rims were the thing to put on your Hot Rods, not Quad's or anything else stock. Started to feel a little sick about my Holley on the HP500. Thanks SB for pulling me out the gutter. I actually googled eldeborock carbs, starting to look at prices. I'll stick with Holley, back in the day I would rebuild the Holley myself on my 69 Barracuda.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:42 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by innerrage
sb do you live on the east coast, i have a holley 650 dual feed electic choke, just had it cleaned do to bad fuel and now i cant get it to run right, it is runnig very rich ,its on a small block chevy about 380 to 400hp thank you
Could be anything from a stuck needle and seat, blown power valve, too high of float level, improper idle mixture or idle speed adjustments.

For a stock engine, I always loved quadrajets. I can't complain about my holley dominators. They sit on top of blowers, with long duration lumpy cams, and idle and perform like efi. Only difference is I have to pump the thorttles twice to start them if they sat for a week. No chokes, pretty much all out race carbs, and they flat out work.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:32 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,166 Likes on 1,430 Posts

Originally Posted by innerrage
Yes, is that bad ? LOL.....just some east coast vs west coast humor. I'm actually in New Hampshire. On the big lake - Winni. Oh, now the big slow lake.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:57 AM
Registered

no not at all sb, i live in ct and have friends who live on the lake that work for clean harbors in bow, if i ever need a carb rebuilt i will keep you in mind
Old 08-30-2011, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SB
Oh my gosh Dennis.

Please put in your posts that it is of your opinion of Holleys vs Edelbrock and such.

If the carburetor tuner does not feel comfortable tuning the carburetor at hand, that does not make the carburetor bad.
I many times make the statement that the best carburetor for one to get is the carburetor one knows how to tune the best.

I prefer Holley's for performance motors because I can tune them the best. For stock motors, the Eddie's are fine because they are very close out of the box.....if the customer so desires. Again, this is my opinion because of my personal skills/knowledge/ and etc.

Anyhow,
Many of us are here because of performance motors.

How many Edelbrock's / Weber's are on the Blue Motors ? IE: The Mercury Racing High Performance motors ?

Also in my opinion and experience the CFM mathmatics you are showing is old school Holley textbook. Things have changed with more modern cyl heads, camshafts, and of course carburetors themselves.

As example: many times I'll and others will go 120VE% or more on that 'cfm carburetor math' on performance dual planes.

As far as Prosystems, Willy's, and etc, if you call them on a near stock motor I guarantee that they'll tell you to run 'such and such' stock Holley. Guarantee ? Yup, I have personally and have had customers call on near stock and also mild performance engines and that's what they'll give you for an answer.

Now, very high performance engines ? You bet ! There is more to changing fuel curves than jetting, PV's, step up springs, rods, and etc.

Anyhow, I'm saying the above as we would be talking having a conversation.

Just don't want this thread and info to be a one sided opinion.

Thank you very much and I appreciate your response.
I can't help but to feel that the people that post on this forum all have very high dollar engines powering there boats.
BUT, every post has thousands of viewers (that never respond) and are just regular boaters looking for
simple performance tricks.
I will admit that with the slow economy and the boating business all but dead, I am on this forum to help promote my business (as are you).
I need to give very common sense advice to my perspective (regular boater) customers to give them the confidence that when they deal with my business they can trust me to be a straight shooter. I need them to feel that they can modify a stock marine engine for more performance without spending an arm and a leg for high dollar parts.

Stock ignition systems and stock carburetors work very well on modified engines and it is generally a waste of money to replace these things until engine cubic inches and rpm's go really high. These should be the LAST things that should be replaced when an average boater starts to modify his engine for more power.

It seems like these forums are full of people who actually believe that MSD ignition systems and Holley double pumper carbs are the first thing to install when modifying an engine. Unfortunately they do not increase performance at all (and generally hurt reliability).

I hope that people reading this appreciate my honesty.

Sincerely
Dennis Moore
[email protected]

Last edited by Dennis Moore; 08-30-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:46 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Dennis Moore
I will admit that with the slow economy and the boating business all but dead, I am on this forum to help promote my business
If you're going to continue to come on here and spew your tired one sided rhetoric maybe you should buck up and pay to become a member. If you've got time between writing articles about the dangers of global warming to popular hotrodding.. You're a clown.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:51 PM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
If you're going to continue to come on here and spew your tired one sided rhetoric maybe you should buck up and pay to become a member. If you've got time between writing articles about the dangers of global warming to popular hotrodding.. You're a clown.

Perfect
Old 08-30-2011, 02:27 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,166 Likes on 1,430 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis Moore
Thank you very much and I appreciate your response.
I will admit that with the slow economy and the boating business all but dead, I am on this forum to help promote my business (as are you).

Stock ignition systems and stock carburetors work very well on modified engines .

Sincerely
Dennis Moore
[email protected]
Nope, not promoting my business. My business is set up for other niche's in the performance industry. I deal very little publicly (ie: paying customers) with performance boaters.

I agree that stock Merc ignitions are very good for the most part. I'm not an MSD fan for on the water. My favorite ignition set-up was the Merc Voyager (GM external coil Hei's) distributor with Crane Box. Very reliable and the Crane Box had most of Merc's high performance advance curves available with just a twist of the dial.

Crane marine boxes are gone, but another company has emerged with the same type. They even have a computer programmable one.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, what really bothers me is a so called professional engine builder that install heads designed to increase low speed torque and single plane intake manifolds designed for high speeds. It is just this type of crazy engine combinations that make the good engine builders in the marine industry look foolish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.