Notices

Prop removal

Old 09-04-2011, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop removal

Hi,

I hit several stick ups last weekend and have noticed a vibration at mid speed. I assume one of my prop fins may be bent or worse.

I have a 99 Bravo three outdrive and need to remove prop and check prop shaft for runout. What is the correct way to remove and install prop?
'
Thanks

Last edited by Colbaltmania; 09-04-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:17 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

buy a bravo three prop wrench of ebay, or see if someone local will loan you one. There is a nut and bushing on the outer prop, then a large nut and bushing on inner prop. Installation is the opposite of removal. Check with Merc for torque specs, but I always just tightened my about the same as a lug nut.
Good luck
Old 09-07-2011, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 763 Likes on 412 Posts

Inner (larger) prop nut is 100 ft. lbs., outer nut is 60 ft. lbs.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:46 PM
Registered

Just finished making a prop wrench for my Bravo 3..... . A bit of work, but should last forever I figure....

Used 1/4" aluminum plate, cut out as shown. Large hex is 2 3/4". Welded a 3/4" piece of aluminum bar stock (socket is 3/4" drive) into a square recess I cut into the plate. Through bolted (3/16 bolt) a 1 7/16 socket to it, although you could tap the bar stock if you didn't want to through-bolt it.

Works like a charm....

I also hit a rock recently and mangled both props. Had some vibration also. Didn't check for runout, but with my other props on there's no vibration. B3 is a pretty tough drive.

Last edited by puzzleboy; 09-13-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Colbaltmania
Hi,

I hit several stick ups last weekend and have noticed a vibration at mid speed. I assume one of my prop fins may be bent or worse.

I have a 99 Bravo three outdrive and need to remove prop and check prop shaft for runout. What is the correct way to remove and install prop?
'
Thanks
Make sure you time the props when you reinstall them. There is a socket for the inner prop nut on eBay right now for under $70.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:49 PM
Registered

How do you time them?
Old 09-15-2011, 08:27 AM
Registered

You do not want a blade from both the inner and outer prop lining up with each other directly under the cavitation plate. The way I do it is install the inner prop and rotate it so a prop blade is directly under the cavitation plate. Then I install the outer prop to where the cavitation plate is directly between two of the blades and therefore, one blade of the inner prop. Here is a pic.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/p...experts-2.html

Last edited by Knot 4 Me; 09-15-2011 at 08:39 AM.