Considering switching from TRS to Bravo 1 >

Considering switching from TRS to Bravo 1

Notices

Considering switching from TRS to Bravo 1

Old 11-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
If you are planning on 700HP, spending money to convert to bravos would be a waste. Like stated above, there are much better options for not a whole lot more money. 700HP in front of bravos it that boat will be a time bomb.

If it were me I would just stick with the TRS.... I've never had trouble finding parts, and if the trannies are beefed up a little they will hold the power well if not abused.
ditto on that.heavy boat like that will live longer w/trs drives.the bravos will comsum less h/p.but are weaker.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The boat has velvet drives. I'm just looking for close to 70 mph. It does 55 now.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 alternatives. Not saying it's the right ideas, as you said yourself, how much should you invest in an old boat., But here is some food for thought, if you did cut outs for Bravos, but installed ASD#7M's, or just B1's.

I don't know what your budget is for the engine upgrades, but this idea would net you some saveings in that department.
What if you just refreshed the 454/420 back to stock form, did ASD #7M's and on that account alone got close to 70mph and could live with mid to upper 60's instead of 70. Then for the time you have the boat, look for a good set of used B1's to put on when selling it, and take your ASD's with you.

The other idea is. Simply convert to B1's, refresh motors back to stock form, install B1's with an x-dim of about 17"-17½". That should at least put you at 60-62 mph. If lucky, maybe more. The B1's do take a lot less power to spin, and is quite a bit lighter than the TRS. The B1 props has come a long way and don't need the super low x-dim and prop shaft depth.

My point being that you won't see any of the money you put into engine mods when selling, and a boat with B1 drives and stock mercs will be easier to sell, and give you the best price. I'm not saying it's the perfect idea, just something to consider.

Last edited by A.O. Razor; 11-23-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just don't see how something like this doesn't make sense:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o29003-en.html

By the time you cut and modify the transom, and buy drives, etc. you could have the above boat for free and use the proceeds of selling your old boat to build bad ass motors.

I understand falling in love with the classic lines of the older offshores, but I just can't phathom spending that kind of money and not seeing any of it back in return. If that is the case there are also a few reasonably priced 38' Cigs that could likely be had for similar cash if you negotiated a purchase without power.

The old adage just seems to hold true time and time again... if you want a faster boat, buy one.