How do you touch up vinyl?

Old 12-13-2011, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+ 2
Old 12-13-2011, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure, I will update with results. I didn't have any before cleaning pictures, but I think I could take some now showing the damage and then what I do to try to fix it, should be a decent how to thread.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Registered

It penetrates the Vinyl. It works great on automotive interiors. I can speak from first hand experience It doesn't work as well on boat interiors. It will get you through, but when it gets hot it gets a bit tacky... I had touched up my interior a few seasons ago with the SEM Vinyl Dye, there were areas on the boat where people would get their bare legs stuck to it when it was real hot.... We would also get towls stuck to it as well. The vinyl dye never came off it just got sticky. It did faded away after a season of sun and frequnt cleaning... It will get you through until you can get it replaced.

Here is a thread with before and after photos using the dye:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/v...ty-sale-5.html

Last edited by low_psi; 12-13-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by airshares
Will you update us on the results of the Sem product. I am thinking about trying it.
Updated my thread in the formula section on my cockpit work done so far. I am impressed so far with this product, heck of a difference for the $60 or so it cost me to do the two seats and both rear seat sides/arm rest.

vinyl work starts on page 3 of the thread, post #24.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/f...ml#post3613581

One before and after shot shown in other thread as a teaser.... Only redid the light grey sections.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 1,277 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by befu
Updated my thread in the formula section on my cockpit work done so far. I am impressed so far with this product, heck of a difference for the $60 or so it cost me to do the two seats and both rear seat sides/arm rest.

vinyl work starts on page 3 of the thread, post #24.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/f...ml#post3613581

One before and after shot shown in other thread as a teaser.... Only redid the light grey sections.
Looks great. I did the interior on my dads old 1979 18' Starcraft fishing boat with Duplicolor vinyl paint in the spray can and it turned out amazing. Has held up for 8 years now.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's all a paint. works but does flake off if not prepped and cleaned prior to painting. if the vinyl is hard and not plyable will not work well. I worked for an upholstery shop.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:12 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Great info, thanks guys. Anyone know what white matches up best with factory Baja white? I'm going to get some of this dye for a pink spot on a couple of my seats.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TBAG
Great info, thanks guys. Anyone know what white matches up best with factory Baja white? I'm going to get some of this dye for a pink spot on a couple of my seats.
My velocity used sem "ultra white". Which is a more naturl color and matched well. Not as bright as some of the other whites. Your best bet is to take a vinyl sample with you our so you can closely match a few different shades. Then buy all of he ones close and then spray in a hidden area to see what is the best match. The color match will depend on numerous factors. But just like paint, the prep is where you need to spend most of your time. Once you think you have the vinyl clean, clean it two more times. If not properly prepped you will notice it right away as the vinyl will actuall repel the dye. If prepped right, it will dry very fast as it is absorbed into the vinyl.

Last edited by low_psi; 02-14-2012 at 02:52 PM.