merc 500 efi parts what and where to get >

merc 500 efi parts what and where to get

Notices

merc 500 efi parts what and where to get

Old 01-17-2012, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default merc 500 efi parts what and where to get

I am looking to replace springs, cap and rotor, and wires on 02 merc 500 efi's. can anyone tell me what are the best parts to use and where are the best place to purchase them at a good price. Also if anyone has changed springs before, I am looking for advice on how to do it. I am plenty mechanical but have never done them before. thanks for any info
Old 01-18-2012, 09:03 AM
Registered

somebody has to have some info for me
Old 01-18-2012, 09:56 AM
Registered

look here:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...e-springs.html

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...efi-heads.html

As to how, you can pull the heads, use air to hold the valves, or do the rope in the cylinder method.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

Good thing is you have the room. I think BT installed a plush couch and work station in the walls of the bilge, you just have to look for them

Take the exhaust off, remove the plugs, and do a complete compression and leak down test first. If you have good balance and numbers within specs you can move forward. Doing this test with reveal any problems you may have with head gaskets, valves, seats, cyl walls, pistons or rings. If all is good move forward with just the spring change, if numbers are off, pull the engines for freshen and inspection. IMO. Some on here will tell you to go through the entire engine at 250 hrs, I disagree!

Great way to catch something before it happens, which I am sure is a great feeling. Me however, I always seem to discover the problem late, after total devastation, which is not a good feeling.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:16 PM
Registered

I also would do a complete compression and leak down test first
Old 01-19-2012, 02:07 AM
Registered

thanks for the info. I was sitting on the plush couch with cocktail in hand when I did the compression and leak down test. numbers were pretty good, leak down test was very good. I plan on replacing springs for sure and also cap and rotor as they are looking a little corroded as well as wires and plugs while I am at it. I have heard isky springs but wasnt sure where to buy from and also I would need a spring tool as well. my mechanic buddy told me to use a crusader cap and rotor because he said they hold up better but I dont know if there is a difference. Is there a better set of wires as well? I will call youngs performance tomorrow and see if he can point me in the right direction.