Notices

Those of us really budget boating, let's see those budget boats and projects

Old 01-31-2012, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 01-31-2012, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My first Baja - 1989 226 Sport, second Baja - 1988 240 sport, and one of the latest project - 93 Scarab Viper
Attached Thumbnails Those of us really budget boating, let's see those budget boats and projects-summer07061-1.jpg   Those of us really budget boating, let's see those budget boats and projects-summer07055.jpg   Those of us really budget boating, let's see those budget boats and projects-001-3.jpg  

Old 01-31-2012, 09:28 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In the process of a total restoration on this old 'Bird.

check this link to my speedwake post

http://www.speedwake.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71695

I'm working it while I'm going through the "Parts Gathering" process...which is a tedious and time consuming part of budget boating. The difference between us and guys with an open check book is that we get it done with a lot less money...it just takes a lot longer. I find a lot of my stuff on OSO Swap Shop as well as on Craigs. There are several local guys here in SE Florida and on the Treasure Coast that are "hoarders" of marine parts and many times I can get some great deals with them. Dealing with the guys in the OSO Swap Shop that are parting out boats has been my best source. The thing I have noticed here in Florida is that even though we have thousands of boats around...most people here don't take care of their equipment and it goes to crap. Most of the "fresh" parts I get come from other areas of the country where most of the boating is done seasonally and on fresh water.

The one part of this hobby that I have not gotten into yet is upholstery and canvas work. It's tough to find anyone around that does it at a reasonable cost and doesn't tie your boat up for several months. I'm still looking.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by sprink58; 01-31-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 32' boat upside down in my garage. Hope it's a winter project and not a 3 year project.

Last edited by charliem; 01-31-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 123 Likes on 41 Posts

Couple of the most recent.
ResurrectionMarine.com
Old 02-01-2012, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

502ss, after all that work restoring the Tahiti why do you pull it up on the sand and rocks?
Old 02-01-2012, 11:56 AM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
502ss, after all that work restoring the Tahiti why do you pull it up on the sand and rocks?
What is the purpose of this question?
Old 02-01-2012, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
1. I have a keel guard
2. When I do beach it I am very careful to make sure there are no rocks
3. Because I can! Does the bottom have some wear marks from some sand, yes but so what, my intention is to use the boat. No matter where I take it it never spends more than 7-8 hours in the water, she is back on the trailer every night!
Old 02-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Registered

Received 1,930 Likes on 756 Posts
Default Ditto.

Originally Posted by 502ss
Because I can! Does the bottom have some wear marks from some sand, yes but so what, my intention is to use the boat.
Good paint, prepped and applied correctly does very well to abrasion abuse assuming it's not an area like a deck or hull sides that you stare at from 2' away.
I've done several and done the sand/beach thing w/all of them including the Sonic in my avatar which is on the sand. As 502 said, no rocks and then some where that the boat is not moving and I'm in.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

another cool thread!

i like seein what other regular joes like me are wrenching on.

dont get me wrong i LOVE the high end boats and drool all over them every chance i get (until the owners run me off lol) i always go down to the poker runs and check out the million dollar rockets. lol im glad that some one can afford to bring em out and run em for us. i love watchin the first wave come by. lol

im kinda new to powerboating so its cool to know that there is still a place for some good ol "hotrodder" type gearheads in this hobby.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.