Notices

Want to wake up 350

Old 02-22-2012, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to wake up 350

I have a 23xl nova with a 350. I was wondering what I can do to get a little more power out of it. Been looking at Edelbrock intakes performer rpm. What else could I do with out blowing the bank. I know alpha1 is good for 320hp.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is a great 2: part article in Chevy High Performance.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...ams/index.html

Read and learn...these guys did a great job.

Have 2: that match this build up just about ready to drop into my Formula 255 Liberator. I don't trust my ability to pu$$y foot around with the Alphas so I'm going with twin Bravo's. Some of the money I saved in my engine purchase is going to other things like Bravo drives and a NEW trailer.

Shop around for parts...it's amazing what you can come up with if you shop hard. I bought my 2: Vortecs from a high performance engine shop that built them for a client that put down a 50% deposit and never came to pick them up. I grabbed them both for $4500 cash...intakes to oil pan That's about what you normally pay for a pair of 260 Long blocks.

Last edited by sprink58; 02-24-2012 at 12:06 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ctbs99xc
I have a 23xl nova with a 350. I was wondering what I can do to get a little more power out of it. Been looking at Edelbrock intakes performer rpm. What else could I do with out blowing the bank. I know alpha1 is good for 320hp.
Ha ha ha, this brings back memories. Pretty much what I was thinking and asking about 3 months ago. Now my bilge is empty, my stringers gutted, new engines being assembled. Just got back from the machine shop tonight $1100 lighter with my block, crank, gaskets, rings, and bearings.

thought I would look into the engines and see about "bumping" them a bit. My advice, spend about $700 to $900 on a really good condition 350 from a 96 to 99 chevy truck. Has the vortec heads, one piece rear main seal and roller cam. Go on ebay, buy a better cam for it. Then go through and clean it up, maybe hone it out and put in new rings. Gaskets, rings and bearings will run around $350 or more. Get new edelbrock intake and you should be right at 300 HP easy. My two old 350's are sitting to the side in the shop right now. I was warned not to dig into them also, didn't listen! Glad I did though with what I found.

If your blocks are sound, a set of vortec heads is a great upgrade. Need a different intake then also. Oh, gaskets are 2x as much as pre 96 vortec stuff.
Good luck!
Old 02-23-2012, 02:52 PM
Registered

had a 2000 rinker with the 250 hp 350.changed cam intake and carb made a big difference.guessing @300-325 hp when we were done.ran it for 5 years solid.no problems with motor or outdrive.let me know if your interested i can proubably dig up the particulars.btw was a vortec motor.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Registered

ya its a 85 nova. I think i can use a set of vortec heads an a intake on that motor. last year i broke a rocker so i ended up pulling the heads apart and going through them then did roller tip rockers the next weekend out i broke my outdrive so I ended up getting a sei new outdrive with the 1.48 gears.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 4,567 Likes on 1,315 Posts
Lightbulb

Alarm Clock