Notices

496 CA. emissions

Old 04-23-2012, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496 CA. emissions

The 496's in my boat say they meet CA. emissions. Do they make other 496's that have more relaxed emissions, Can I have the computer reflashed now that the boat is on the east coast and get more power ?
Old 04-23-2012, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Jmo

If your Merc 496HO'S are 2006 models and they do not have the catalyst system on them you can reflash your ECM's anytime you choose legally for use in Pennsylvania.
However please don't feel there is any resoanable extra power locked up in your ECM's We could reflash your ECM's with an more aggressive timing map and require you to switch to 91 minimum octane fuel instead of the 87 and 89 octane your engines are tuned to use now. The extra cost of fuel plus the added loads put on the stock engine by more agressive timing might add lets say 10-15HP per engine and the 20-30HP total max increase might provide 1-2 miles per hour max in an Advantage hull. Reflashing will cost you between $800 - $1000 per ECU or $1600-$2000 for the boat for a very small increase in performance and will put added strain on the stock pistons.
My suggestion as a PCM555 reprogrammer is to leave your ECM's alone now and enjoy the savings of 87 octane fuel cost this season and save your dollers for better future upgrades to the engines that will add enough sizeable power increases to provide substaintial performance increases in your boat.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar