Notices

What did I do wrong?

Old 05-05-2012, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced the riser gasket with a restricted mercury gasket but it made no change in the way it was running. I pulled the distributor and advanced it one tooth and it ran somewhat better but it still isnt right. I'll get the timing light back on it as soon as I can borrow one again. I'm also going to pull the plugs out and see what they look like.

Another thing that comes to mind. I left the carb on the intake when I pulled it, and had to lay it on its side to clean the gasket surfaces. Could that have caused a fuel delivery issue?
Old 05-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by magnum350
Engine Serial Number is OF284281
Serial comes back as a 1994 350 magnum, I'd double check your distributor installation and double check the intake gasket. And for sure get the correct riser to manifold gasket
Old 05-05-2012, 05:25 PM
Registered

I've already replaced the riser gasket with the correct one. Did that this morning.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,890 Likes on 950 Posts

Originally Posted by magnum350
I replaced the riser gasket with a restricted mercury gasket but it made no change in the way it was running. I pulled the distributor and advanced it one tooth and it ran somewhat better but it still isnt right. I'll get the timing light back on it as soon as I can borrow one again. I'm also going to pull the plugs out and see what they look like.

Another thing that comes to mind. I left the carb on the intake when I pulled it, and had to lay it on its side to clean the gasket surfaces. Could that have caused a fuel delivery issue?
I will almost guarantee that your entire issue is timing related. Moving the distributor a tooth has the same effect as as spinning the distributor.

Youy need to get cylinder #1 to TDC. The timing mark on the balancer will be at the 0 mark on the harmonic balancer. Being at 0 on the harmonic balancer does not guarantee you have #1 at TDC. The balancer goes around twice for every engine revolution and it could be on #6 TDC instead of #1 TDC.
PULL OFF THE COIL WIRE BEFORE DOING THIS!!!!
You have to pull the #1 spark plug, have someone else bump the engine and put your finger over the #1 plug hole and feel for compression. Then reinstall the distributor so that the rotor is pointed to the #1 cylinder position on the dist cap. Reconnect coil wire and set timing with a timing light.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
I will almost guarantee that your entire issue is timing related. Moving the distributor a tooth has the same effect as as spinning the distributor.

Youy need to get cylinder #1 to TDC. The timing mark on the balancer will be at the 0 mark on the harmonic balancer. Being at 0 on the harmonic balancer does not guarantee you have #1 at TDC. The balancer goes around twice for every engine revolution and it could be on #6 TDC instead of #1 TDC.
PULL OFF THE COIL WIRE BEFORE DOING THIS!!!!
You have to pull the #1 spark plug, have someone else bump the engine and put your finger over the #1 plug hole and feel for compression. Then reinstall the distributor so that the rotor is pointed to the #1 cylinder position on the dist cap. Reconnect coil wire and set timing with a timing light.
Or I could pull the valve cover off an put it on 0 after the #1 intake valve closes, correct?
Old 05-05-2012, 06:25 PM
Registered

look... do yourself a favor and start over again... this is going to be one of 2 things... either you screwed up the timing /firing order or you screwed up an intake gasket. so calmly and dispassionately figure out which one it is...

assume you know nothing at all ... no short cuts.

put the motor on the tdc mark on # 1 firing... take the distributor out and put it back in so that the rotor points to the number one pole.

get a picture of the firing order and put it in front of you

put number one wire on number 1 plug and work your way around... pretend you have never done it before and that you don't know where anything was before... just make sure it is correct now.

make sure you know which way the rotor turns... and know that turning the distributer the other way advances it.

now... find the instructions somewhere that tells you what to jump for that particular ignition and follow them and time the motor using a simple, no advance llight.

no shortcuts... just do it simple and directly by the numbers. when you are done, then the timing and firing order are correct... no more guesswork. no timing it by ear or gee i moved it a tooth and nothing happened" you KNOW that was either it or not.

if it was you are home free. if not, take the intake manifiold off again and find out what went wrong. don't waste time trying to talk yourself out of it.... i don't care how much vacuum it has...

it ran before you " fixed it" now it doesn't... so go back and find out what you did wrong... no shame in that. everyone has done it. the only mistake you are making is not focusing and are trying for the magic bean fix.

there are no magic bean fixes.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:39 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with griff and steve, START OVER from TDC
Old 05-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As Steve said...it is very easy to get set up on No 6 as opposed to No 1...I have done it and I'm sure many people on this forum have. There is no shame in doing this..it happens. The engine will run but the firing order is 180 deg out.

Get that timing mark dead balls on with No 1 at TDC. You can double check by looking at the rocker arms for No 1...both valves will be closed.

Did you also check for a vacuum leak with WD 40? Again...18' og vacuum doesn't tell you any thing. With a stock cam you could be pulling as much as 21" with everything dialed in.

Get yourself a good timing light with an adjustment knob...you will need it to set the timing properly...32 deg advanced at 3000~3200 RPM total advance. Don't depend on a static number of 8~to 19 deg BTDC to be accurate.

Good luck with this.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:08 PM
Registered

I'll start over with the timing, but I'm kinda stumped on how it could get out of time. I marked the distributor and the rotor before I removed it. The engine never moved and when I went back together with it, everything lined up with the marks exactly the way it came out. And I shot it with a Mac timing light; the timing mark on the dampner was hitting on 8* like it should have. I'll stop chasing my tail and start over. Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

180 out on dist,is it backfireing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.