Notices

No SPARK 454 mag

Old 08-29-2012, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Module ground is 3 OHMs just a measurement not a megger.

Flow chart shows me the module is bad. Its history is unknown as it came with the mag. I had a 330 TRS before with points. Kill sw is out of the circuit and have 12v at dist and coil.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:12 AM
Registered

Griff, Your a genious! I want to come boating with you some day and pick your brain over a 6-pack!

Ok, sorry, back to the posters thread...
Old 08-30-2012, 01:53 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,950 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by schurgervt
Module ground is 3 OHMs just a measurement not a megger.

Flow chart shows me the module is bad. Its history is unknown as it came with the mag. I had a 330 TRS before with points. Kill sw is out of the circuit and have 12v at dist and coil.
Is the module mounted to anything???? Both the ground wire and case need to be grounded.

If you had a points ditributor before, did you remove the ballast resistor on the power wire?? It must be removed.

Originally Posted by balinsteadt
Griff, Your a genious! I want to come boating with you some day and pick your brain over a 6-pack!

Ok, sorry, back to the posters thread...
LOL!!! It only took me 2 days of flow charts and voltage readings several years ago to figure out the case needs grounded. I had mounted it to the transom behind the distributer after an exhaust upgrade.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

[QUOTE=Griff;3765607]If you had a points ditributor before, did you remove the ballast resistor on the power wire?? It must be removed.
QUOTE]

What he said.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:09 AM
Registered

the old modules had bare metal exposed that rusted, sure sign bad. newer units are plastic encased. follow tesing steps.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:57 PM
Registered

OK everyone, are you ready for the root cause???

First thank you for every ones help.

The Thunderbolt Module was bad. I bought a used 22 deg V8 module at the dealer for 150 The key was that there WAS 12 V at the pos on the dist and when the white green was tapped on gnd the coil did not spark. The module was well grounded. Started it today with the initial timing at 10 deg.

Another strange thing. It will not fire while cranking, only when I let off the start to run. Ballast resister? Where is it? Key switch, will check for voltage at coil when cranking.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:52 PM
Registered

you would have ballast resistor if you had point distributor, not thunderbolt. should not have one in your harness, at least the ones your using to troubleshoot. the ballast wire would come off small inside terminal on starter solenoid, outside should have yellow/red stripe running to it. had this before and still thinking sensor/pickup, you'll need new rotor with sensor, their tight and normally break on me. simple check first run ground wire from distributor to module ground point, just a thought.