Notices

more hp

Old 12-25-2012, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more hp

was going to bolt on a blower but it will not fit under hatch so time to get more hp from motor
454 420 would like to get 525 out of it is it worth building a new motor if so what should i do to it or am i better off buying a motor already buildt and selling off the motor i have what should it cost to build my motor?
HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL
Old 12-25-2012, 09:25 AM
Registered

look into methanol injection ive tried it had great results,,ho ho ho
Old 12-25-2012, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Methonal injection isnt going to do much without a supercharger.

You can make some decent power out of your engine.

Depending on the hours, if low enough, you can keep your shortblock assembly and leave it be. The internals are plenty stout for 525HP.

Cylinder heads. A good set of aftermarket heads, will work better than the stock 420 heads. The GM heads you have can be improved, but by the time your done rebuilding, porting, etc, your almost at a new set of heads, that are NEW castings. Many of those old GM heads were known to drop seats, crack, etc. Something like a pair of Dart Iron eagle 308's are nice for the cost. If you want to spend a little more, something like the AFR 290, or 305 aluminum, or Dart Pro 1 310.

Camshaft. You'll need a decently agressive roller cam setup. Something in the 232/242, 236/245 duration range, with a 112LSA. You'll need to turn the engine faster than say 5000-5200 to see gains. with the right cam, lifters, springs, pushrods, etc, 5500-5800 isnt a problem.

Your intake manifold, if the original single plane, will work fine, and so will the stock 800 Holley carb.

If your engines have some time on them, and the shortblocks need to be gone thru, and a bore is needed, you may want to go with a larger domed piston to get the compression up from the 8.75 range, to around 9.5. Or you can always stroke it to a 489-496ci. 575-600HP is doable with a 496.

lots of ways to do it. All depends on your budget. I personally dont like buying "used" engines. Too many horror stories. Would rather build my own and know what i have.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mild thunder
methonal injection isnt going to do much without a supercharger.

Depending on the hours, if low enough, you can keep your shortblock assembly and leave it be. The internals are plenty stout for 525hp.

Cylinder heads. A good set of aftermarket heads, will work better than the stock 420 heads. The gm heads you have can be improved, but by the time your done rebuilding, porting, etc, your almost at a new set of heads, that are new castings. Many of those old gm heads were known to drop seats, crack, etc. Something like a pair of dart iron eagle 308's are nice for the cost. If you want to spend a little more, something like the afr 290, or 305 aluminum, or dart pro 1 310.

Camshaft. You'll need a decently agressive roller cam setup. Something in the 232/242, 236/245 duration range, with a 112lsa. You'll need to turn the engine faster than say 5000-5200 to see gains. With the right cam, lifters, springs, pushrods, etc, 5500-5800 isnt a problem.

Your intake manifold, if the original single plane, will work fine, and so will the stock 800 holley carb.

If your engines have some time on them, and the shortblocks need to be gone thru, and a bore is needed, you may want to go with a larger domed piston to get the compression up from the 8.75 range, to around 9.5. Or you can always stroke it to a 489-496ci. 575-600hp is doable with a 496.

Lots of ways to do it. All depends on your budget. I personally dont like buying "used" engines. Too many horror stories. Would rather build my own and know what i have.
your in chicago im in so.wisconsin can you refer a good engine builder
Old 12-25-2012, 01:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cig20
your in chicago im in so.wisconsin can you refer a good engine builder
Depends on where you're at, but...

Russ at LAM in kenosha does nice work.

Opel engineering in Streamwood, Il is good.

Bill Lawson at ATECO engines in Waukegan.

Those guys are all familiar with Marine.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Registered

Lake geneva
who is your first pick or where do you go
MOTOR HAS ABOUT 500 HRS
Old 12-25-2012, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Methonal injection isnt going to do much without a supercharger.

Depending on the hours, if low enough, you can keep your shortblock assembly and leave it be. The internals are plenty stout for 525HP.

Cylinder heads. A good set of aftermarket heads, will work better than the stock 420 heads. The GM heads you have can be improved, but by the time your done rebuilding, porting, etc, your almost at a new set of heads, that are NEW castings. Many of those old GM heads were known to drop seats, crack, etc. Something like a pair of Dart Iron eagle 308's are nice for the cost. If you want to spend a little more, something like the AFR 290, or 305 aluminum, or Dart Pro 1 310.

Camshaft. You'll need a decently agressive roller cam setup. Something in the 232/242, 236/245 duration range, with a 112LSA. You'll need to turn the engine faster than say 5000-5200 to see gains. with the right cam, lifters, springs, pushrods, etc, 5500-5800 isnt a problem.

Your intake manifold, if the original single plane, will work fine, and so will the stock 800 Holley carb.

If your engines have some time on them, and the shortblocks need to be gone thru, and a bore is needed, you may want to go with a larger domed piston to get the compression up from the 8.75 range, to around 9.5. Or you can always stroke it to a 489-496ci. 575-600HP is doable with a 496.

lots of ways to do it. All depends on your budget. I personally dont like buying "used" engines. Too many horror stories. Would rather build my own and know what i have.
Joe - Thats a quality post right there! it's a real shame that there are not more people on here that can provide valuable feedback like this with out flaming the OP or providing totally off topic and helpless information!

Sorry for the sidetrack but need to give credit where credit is due!

Merry Christmas!

Thanks
Jim
Old 12-25-2012, 07:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 502ss
joe - thats a quality post right there! It's a real shame that there are not more people on here that can provide valuable feedback like this with out flaming the op or providing totally off topic and helpless information!

Sorry for the sidetrack but need to give credit where credit is due!

Merry christmas!

Thanks
jim
+1
Old 12-25-2012, 07:45 PM
Registered

Thanks guys. Merry christmas to you guys and your families.

Cig20, I'd rather not post online who I like or think is better. I have dealt with both LAM, and ateco, and both had good finished products. Several friends of mine dealt with Ted at Opel , and were very pleased. I choose to assemble my own stuff nowadays, and pay for machine work. Mainly because I enjoy Doing it
Old 12-25-2012, 07:47 PM
Registered

Thanks guys. Merry christmas to you guys and your families.

Cig20, I'd rather not post online who I like or think is better. I have dealt with both LAM, and ateco, and both had good finished products. Several friends of mine dealt with Ted at Opel , and were very pleased. I choose to assemble my own stuff nowadays, and pay for machine work. Mainly because I enjoy Doing it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.