Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
melting spark plugs help help >

melting spark plugs help help

Notices

melting spark plugs help help

Old 03-04-2013, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your running vortech heads then dont go over 32*...you need to figure out your afr's,,running the boat this way your going to distroy or may have already somthing...
Old 03-04-2013, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
If your running vortech heads then dont go over 32*...you need to figure out your afr's,,running the boat this way your going to distroy or may have already somthing...
Yup. A wideband imo is a invaluable tool for tuning the blown stuff. Better than just a fuel psi gauge . AFR readings will tell you if your going lean or not, and at any rpm. Not just wot.

Im not a blow thru carb guy, but Im not certain im on board with plugging the PV circuit off in a marine blow thru. From what Ive seen in successful blow thru carbs, the PV circuit is a major player in the fuel curve part of things. Im sure it can work on a drag setup, where theres two throttle positions, open and closed......IDK
Old 03-04-2013, 08:32 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd go up about 4 jet sizes on the rear and back the timing down to 26. If you're using the RHS heads with the vortec/fast burn style chambers then start at 24. Put a fresh set of plugs in and do a quick 5 second blast at WOT. Shut down as soon as safely possible and pull the plugs. If you're not sure on plug reading then post some good pics here and you'll get some help. You need to see the area at the very base of the porcelain. As previously mentioned, if you can get a wide band in there it'll sure make things easier. Once the fuel looks good you can start adding timing 2 degrees at a time. Do not add timing until you get the fuel close. Are you running an intercooler, and what octane?
Old 03-05-2013, 08:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by chrisf695
Im looking at a set of RHS heads for my 408 sbc... how do you like them??

the heads are awesome i purchase the rhs pro action heads

2.02 1.60

220cc intake 72 cc chamber they are non vortec

i bought my bare and put all good comp equipment in it ss valves no cheap china junk. the head part number is 12306

big upgrade over the stock mag heads
Old 03-06-2013, 07:15 AM
Registered

Very nice job!!!

Last edited by sxdasryp09; 03-06-2013 at 07:19 AM.