Gen 5 header clearance issues? >

Gen 5 header clearance issues?

Notices

Gen 5 header clearance issues?

Old 06-11-2013, 11:09 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gen 5 header clearance issues?

heres a little back ground...1990 fountain 38 fever. Carbed gen 5, 454 mags with bravo drives. I am in the process of replacing my center rise manifolds with CMI's 454/502 bravo headers.

heres a link to the headers....
Teague Custom Marine 454/502 E-Top Platinum kit - Elbow Top Headers 454/502 496 Mag Small Block - SS Header Exhaust Systems - Exhaust Systems - EXHAUST

I'd like to see if any one else has run into any of these issues and how you remedied them. Heres some of the issues I've run into so far, and how I've solved some of them.

My biggest unsolved is now my alternator will not clear the water inlet tube into the one header tube, I can't even squeeze the hose in between the alt/and the tube thats welded on the header. Its a mando alternator and in my research I cant seem to get a smaller case alternator than what I have, at least in a marine app. The 1 wire off my plow truck clears it just fine. The stupid cover for the external regulator on the mando is the big issue.

next issue- oil lines, I cant seem to get any new longer oil filter relocation lines made here intown, I'm tempted to by the tools to do all my own AN lines, the factory merc lines were too short for the CMI relocation brackets.

next-Exhaust tips needed to be moved up 1.125". I Cut the existing holes up and reshaped them, and then machined some nice stainless "ovals" with an offset 4" hole for the tips to go through.

next- trying to mate them up to the factory merc silent choice. It wouldnt have been an issue until I had to move the exhaust tips up. The merc rubber bellow for the oval shape of the Y pipe and the silent choice is not a standard 4, or 3.5" exhaust hose. It needs to be 3.75 diameter. Which wouldnt be a problem if the factory merc oval shaped hose could be had in a longer length......but theres only one length available........and in my app thats too short, so I had to track down some 3.75" hose.

Thanks
Matt