Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Bringing life back to the shine! >

Bringing life back to the shine!

Notices

Bringing life back to the shine!

Old 06-23-2013, 12:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bringing life back to the shine!

Ok guys/gals decided to start trying to save the paint on my ole girl. ill post a few before and after pics of what ive gotten done so far then add how i did it and what i used. im sure theres other ways but this is just what i did.

Before

After

Left side before right side after

So heres what i did. Because i was unsure how deep the damage was i wet sanded with 2000 grit wetsand paper (seemd like i was down to the paint almost as if the clear coat was gone completely because the water turned red as i was sanding almost instantly. but needed to be done either way.) then buffed it with Maguires ultra finishing polish 205 wiped then buffed it with maguires ultimate compound rinsed wiped.let it dry then what ever i didn't like or still looked cloudy i just redid the steps again took most of the haze/oxidation out of it and brought back the gloss finish it looks OHH sooooo good and smooth still need to do more but this is what i have so far ill keep posting pics with progress as i finish it. Questions comments advice all is welcome!
Old 06-23-2013, 06:58 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That does look good. Also looks like a lot of work. Bet your getting a good tan doing it.Is the 205 a sealer/wax? I was told by my painter to be sure I sealed the paint.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:32 PM
Registered

Has your boat been painted? Cause if its orginal gelcoat..there is no clear..its just all gel. That's why the water turned red.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:05 PM
Registered

Looks Great!
Old 06-23-2013, 11:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Payton
That does look good. Also looks like a lot of work. Bet your getting a good tan doing it.Is the 205 a sealer/wax? I was told by my painter to be sure I sealed the paint.
Thanks and yes it is a ton of work that little bit took me most of the day plus i was taking my time dident want to do to deep and have no strip left haha. (very burnt/tan) but no it is not a sealer/wax i still need to do that prob my next day off. im sure he's right im learning this as i go so still trying to figure it all out.

Originally Posted by stlliberator
Has your boat been painted? Cause if its orginal gelcoat..there is no clear..its just all gel. That's why the water turned red.
Not that i know of i believe its the orig 25 year old paint job. do they paint over the gel or am i worng on that? like i said im still learning how gel coating and paint on boats work but got sick of the cloudyness.

Originally Posted by Flyin-Bryan
Looks Great!
Thanks! labor of Love!
Old 06-24-2013, 02:44 PM
Registered

The gel is the color...
Old 06-25-2013, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

It looks good But the question is will it stay/ last.

I did pretty much the same thing last summer (just didn't wet sand) to by bow....... And ya that was 3 hours I will never get back from life. It lasted 1 week and was right back to chalky . Quick detail from the spray bottle netted the same effect for me and only took 15 mins

Im going to give it one more/ last shot this summer. Going to take my 3m marine restore/wax cleaner with wool pad on the buffer this time. Cut the heck out of it. Then hit it with a paste wax on the DA.. Then to finish it off, go over it one last time with BC2 wax with pulm shaker.

By the way, did you ever get a chance to GPS your 265?
Old 06-25-2013, 09:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 92nsx
It looks good But the question is will it stay/ last.

I did pretty much the same thing last summer (just didn't wet sand) to by bow....... And ya that was 3 hours I will never get back from life. It lasted 1 week and was right back to chalky . Quick detail from the spray bottle netted the same effect for me and only took 15 mins

Im going to give it one more/ last shot this summer. Going to take my 3m marine restore/wax cleaner with wool pad on the buffer this time. Cut the heck out of it. Then hit it with a paste wax on the DA.. Then to finish it off, go over it one last time with BC2 wax with pulm shaker.

By the way, did you ever get a chance to GPS your 265?
haha right i was thinking the same thing im going to try and seal it some how. just gotta figure out how its done nothing but rain lately. But no i finally got her on the lake Sunday and my starboard throttle cable snapped/came off the control box.. something so i had to limp back on one motor.... again.. im looking at it tomorrow to see if it just came off the control box. (when i had my port side motor worked on fixing the lower shift cable i had him adjust all my cables.. and that happened so im hoping a nut just came off)
Old 06-26-2013, 10:42 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Looks great, it's always rewarding to bring back the shine!