Notices

Poker Runs on a Budget.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys there are so many good runs out there to do, and they all don't coast a arm and leg to run in it. I started about 5 years ago in a 27 Concept CC top sipped was 62 mph, and got hooked. You will meet some great people who love to do the same thing you do, and that is go boating.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen several runs where the boats are split into classes, one for 60mph and under, 60mph and over. Great idea in my opinion, safer too.

I boat in the 1000 Islands and have seen both ends of the Spectrum, the Alex Bay run is made up of (mostly) "regular" boats, usually "My Way" and "Aquamania" are there running a zillion miles an hour and getting to card stops 40 mins before everyone else, but, most of the rest of the boats are regular guys, friendly group, very laid back

The thousand Islands run is DEFINATELY the opposite end of the spectrum, 500K boats are the "starting point"
LOTS of money, LOTS of attitude (and at the risk of offending anyone) LOTS of A- holes, sorry I gotta call it as I see it (-:

Inhave been to both MANY times and you can certainly notice the difference in attitudes, NOT saying everyone at the big dollar runs are jerks, fat from it, they just aren't as laid back as the smaller runs

I guess it's like going to your local dirt track and comparing it to the Daytona 500

If you ever come "up here" to the 1000 Islands hit me up!

Michael
Old 06-30-2013, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also glad I saw this... Am on long island and would love find one...I have an older 89 formula272.with 600 hours on my original motors I do.t push them I cruise at 40 and fear I wouldnt be Ble to keep up...would I.be ok cruising at 45 and does anyone know of any local to me? Harry
Old 06-30-2013, 04:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by formula18
I am also glad I saw this... Am on long island and would love find one...I have an older 89 formula272.with 600 hours on my original motors I do.t push them I cruise at 40 and fear I wouldnt be Ble to keep up...would I.be ok cruising at 45 and does anyone know of any local to me? Harry
The manhattan fun run on columbus weekend with Billy Frenz is alot of fun and doesn't even cost anything.Then we go have brunch at a marina in manhasset/glen cove afterward. You can find pix on the npba website. Usually around 10-20 boats.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wayne272
The manhattan fun run on columbus weekend with Billy Frenz is alot of fun and doesn't even cost anything.Then we go have brunch at a marina in manhasset/glen cove afterward. You can find pix on the npba website. Usually around 10-20 boats.

hey wayne did you have a formula 272? I boat out of bluepoint marina, although I didn't put the boat in the water this year...shes a trailer queen now. where d you normally go? im going to check out that run
Old 07-01-2013, 02:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got back yesterday from the Support Our Troops Poker Run at LOTO . It's the second year I've run it in my 288, and it's a friggin riot. My boat is one of the smaller/slower rigs in attendance, but it doesn't matter...everyone is there for the same reason...to support a great charity and for the love of hot-boats. Doesn't matter if they make $40k per year or $4m per year...everyone is friendly and great to chat with.

$200 entry fee, breakfast and dinner included, and broken up into classes based on size/speed.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 763 Likes on 412 Posts

I've done the SOTPR at LOTO in 2011 and 2012 (missed this year due to them moving it back a week) in a '96 303 Formula SR-1 (75 MPH boat). As Wasted said, you see all kinds of boats run in this event (even an 18' Donzil with a Whippled small-block) and the costs are very reasonable and it supports a very worthy cause.
Attached Thumbnails Poker Runs on a Budget.-sotpr.jpg  
Old 07-01-2013, 10:32 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Great thread! Poker runs on a budget are possible, you just have to budget and plan. I think no matter what kind of boat your in you should be able to do it if you want. Trust me, there going to take your money do you think they care all that much about your boat outside of safety?? As long as you have fun that's all that matters.

I'm running in Boyne Thunder this year and it is my first, I've always dreamed of going to the lake Cumberland poker run just never made. Plus I've been to Cumberland so I already know the lake. As for Boyne, it's 650 entry and that pays for a lot, 2 adults, 2 t shirts, 2 nights dock, I think just one hand and dinner on Friday and breakfast lunch and dinner on Saturday. Not to mention a wrist band that gets me into all the events. Plus I paid for it back in march so ill I got to pay for now is basically fuel. And the best part about it is if the water is to rough I don't have to run the whole event I can turn around and still get a full hand.

As far as power, I got a 88 Formula SR-1 311 with almost 600 hrs on it I don't thrash it and I don't plan on to either. We've never been up north so are plan is to just cruise the shores of MI and enjoy the crystal clear water. The only concerns I have is that it's almost a 150 mile run, I would be ok if it was shortened a bit.

And to add a crew it's 125.

I by know means have deep pockets that's why I will do one run a year. Want to do the key west run just not real big on towing the boat over 16 hours.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:42 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by s022mag
Great thread! Poker runs on a budget are possible, you just have to budget and plan. I think no matter what kind of boat your in you should be able to do it if you want. Trust me, there going to take your money do you think they care all that much about your boat outside of safety?? As long as you have fun that's all that matters.

I'm running in Boyne Thunder this year and it is my first, I've always dreamed of going to the lake Cumberland poker run just never made. Plus I've been to Cumberland so I already know the lake. As for Boyne, it's 650 entry and that pays for a lot, 2 adults, 2 t shirts, 2 nights dock, I think just one hand and dinner on Friday and breakfast lunch and dinner on Saturday. Not to mention a wrist band that gets me into all the events. Plus I paid for it back in march so ill I got to pay for now is basically fuel. And the best part about it is if the water is to rough I don't have to run the whole event I can turn around and still get a full hand.

As far as power, I got a 88 Formula SR-1 311 with almost 600 hrs on it I don't thrash it and I don't plan on to either. We've never been up north so are plan is to just cruise the shores of MI and enjoy the crystal clear water. The only concerns I have is that it's almost a 150 mile run, I would be ok if it was shortened a bit.

And to add a crew it's 125.

I by know means have deep pockets that's why I will do one run a year. Want to do the key west run just not real big on towing the boat over 16 hours.
+1. We also are trying to do one "big" run a year. Boating is what we enjoy, and what we spend our $$$ on. I eat many a ramen noodles to save for gas money Like was posted above these runs are a great place to meet people who just love to boat.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
I eat many a ramen noodles to save for gas money
Your going to have to cut back on the noodles to fill the new boat up.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.