Notices

Poker Runs on a Budget.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:48 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Poker Runs on a Budget.

So we all don't have deep pockets put we enjoy getting out and playing around with our boats.

Who out there has run a "Normal" 50~75 MPH boat in a Poker Run? Not looking for exotic Cats and Big Buck step hull deep vees here...just guys that have had some fun with a boat that most guys with a family and responsibilities can get out and run in one of the hundreds of Poker Runs held every year.

What and where did you run? How did your experience work out? Have any tips?

All contributions welcome.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:45 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Before my velocity I had a 63mph Baja and did all the poker runs in our area. The biggest one being the Tickfaw 200. I did the Tickfaw 2 years in a row with the Baja and this past year with the veloctiy. We still had plenty of fun on the Baja. The poker runs aren't about being the fastest (unless your in a big cat) but about having fun running with other boats. There will always be different levels of boats (speed wise) in the runs. With our 63mph Baja we still had plenty of boats to run with. The velocity is a solid mid-upper 90's boat (hoping low 100's if I can get a drive to hold...lol) and it wasn't much different then running the Tickfaw in the Baja. Main differences were the kinds of boats we ran with. The Baja we ran with other baja's, formulas, scarabs. With the velocity we ran with cig's, fountains, some smaller cats etc. At the end of the day it was fun on either boat and we enjoy the poker runs. We don't ever expect to win as we have never won anything in all the ones we've been in, but its a great opportunity to run with other boats which is what I like. Ultimately, I love boats and being on the water so it is fun to me.

On a side note it did feel pretty good not being the slowest boat out of everyone I know. lol Lucky for me I don't know anyone with a cat so I was the fastest in our group.

Last edited by cp5899; 06-25-2013 at 11:47 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:00 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

To me poker runs aren't about speed. I will only do ones that benefit a charity as this is what tey were designed for. I want to know the charity up front. It's about basically donating money to a good cause and doing what I love to do most which is spend a day on the boat. I haven't done any my boat yet but they are coming.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 24' Skater and I'm anxiously awaiting my first one.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:09 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

This is a great thread. My wife and I just got back from Lake Cumberland. This is the third year we have gone down for the Thunder Run and each year we talk about entering. My concern is exactly what was brought up here. My 292 will run 70 but I'm not into beating her up if you know what I mean. Too much invested to start breaking stuff.

The Thunder Run attracts some outstanding boats including big cats. I would estimate some boats were running consistently in the high 90's to well over 100 MPH.

Dave
Old 06-26-2013, 06:10 AM
Registered

Hey Sprink58 Find a fun run or a poker run on a inland type waterway, bays, rivers, etc. maybe not the offshore type but go man. You will meet some good ole folks that have the same passion about boating as you. Shoes and long pants forbidden, But fun is mandatory! Poker hands are not about who gets there first its just who has the better hand. Maybe you win a door prize. Maybe a small trophy for the cleanest boat. But I think you will have a blast. I love runnin with other boats and shootin video. (Rock the Bay) on the cheapeake was my first one and I have been hooked ever since.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

you should think about coming to Jax next month, there is a hotel close to everything under $100/night.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-city-run.html
Old 06-26-2013, 10:29 AM
Registered

I just did the Cumberland Thunder Run in my 24 Outlaw and had a great time, I run between 35 and 50 mph the whole way and got to the first stop before a lot of bigger and faster boats. A lot of people go to just have a nice boat ride and enjoy the event. I had a blast!! and you prob. would too.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tony97gt
I just bought a 24' Skater and I'm anxiously awaiting my first one.
Hey Tony,

Welcome to OSO
Old 06-26-2013, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 954 Likes on 348 Posts

I did the Pirates of Lanier run last year in a pontoon boat. loaded up the cooler and friends and off we went at a blistering 35mph and had fun the whole way. there were nearly 300 hundred entered and most were 60mph or less. it also benifits several great childrens charities and they are very devoted to making sure all the money helps the kids.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.