VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the wrong base gasket.
Or float set to high.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm going to agree with everyone else. It's most likely a vacuum leak, just because everything is new doesn't mean anything. Do as others have suggested and I bet you will resolve your problem. Good Luck!
Old 07-15-2013, 07:17 PM
Registered

I hope it is justa vacuum leak. I called all over for a new carb and i swear there is a carb shortage right now lol i just got off work so im going out now to pull the carb and check all my gaskets and tourque settings on everything. Summer is almost over and i just wanna go out on this thing, its such a beautiful boat. How do u post pics on here i wish u all could see it.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In all seriousness...I chased a vacuum leak on one of my Vortec Chevy's I put together for my boat until I discovered that I had a sand hole in the number 8 intake runner. I'm not saying you do and it has never happened to me in 45 years experience...but it happens. I replaced the intake manifold with another one and the problem went away.

Keep an open mind.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:57 PM
Registered

don't the vortec's use plastic spacer with orings. remember some gaskets don't cover ports properly, bottom side leaks,
Old 07-16-2013, 10:23 PM
Registered

Well looks like i found the problem. I ussually dont let ppl help me cause when they do they say they tightened the carb down and didnt lol. Please god i hope this is the issue. Put a new gasket on tightened down correctly pulled it out on the drive way amd started her. Was able to get it to idle down to around 750 800 ish. I think once i get it in the water a little more fine tuning i cam get down under 700, which is where i would like to be. I got the timing down to 8 dbtdc. I think i need to play with the air fuel screws once i get it in the water to get it just right. I still want to get a new carb with an electric choke since i cannot run the divorced choke with my vortec intake. I think that would help with the hard starts. With all the money i spent this season thus far if i can get this quadrajet to last i will upgrade in tje off season, along with new exhaust. Thank u everyone for all ir help this site is great. I really appreciate your time
Old 07-17-2013, 08:30 AM
Registered

I also try to do everything myself. I have had similar experiences with people "helpng". Hope the simple fix is all it was.

Jeff

BTW, are you going to the old school reunion saturday at Brownies? I should be there with my Scarab.

Last edited by sbslinde; 07-17-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by knocknbuoys
Well looks like i found the problem. I ussually dont let ppl help me cause when they do they say they tightened the carb down and didnt lol. Please god i hope this is the issue. Put a new gasket on tightened down correctly pulled it out on the drive way amd started her. Was able to get it to idle down to around 750 800 ish. I think once i get it in the water a little more fine tuning i cam get down under 700, which is where i would like to be. I got the timing down to 8 dbtdc. I think i need to play with the air fuel screws once i get it in the water to get it just right. I still want to get a new carb with an electric choke since i cannot run the divorced choke with my vortec intake. I think that would help with the hard starts. With all the money i spent this season thus far if i can get this quadrajet to last i will upgrade in tje off season, along with new exhaust. Thank u everyone for all ir help this site is great. I really appreciate your time
i have a holly on my boat and have not needed a choke in the summer for over 25 yrs...you really dont need it,,i pump twice and she fires,,i set the throttle for 1200 rpm's for a few minutes and im on my way..
Old 07-17-2013, 09:59 PM
Registered

Sbslinde whats the old school reunion