Belt problem since Whipple monted

Notices

Belt problem since Whipple monted

Old 10-07-2013, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt problem since Whipple monted

Hello,

i have mount some Whipple Chargers (Kit for stock motors) on my Merc 502 MPI's (Model year 2000)
After some problems the run good now, but one thing happens at both Motors.

Something cut off the inner rip of the Micro V Belt from the alternator, steering Pump and water pump.

It looks like that the stronger blower belt has some how contact to the other one when the Motor run with normal speed
(2800-3500RPM)
One Motor had this problem after 5 h, the other one at 7h. I don't see a way to get more distance between them.
Since that happens the Engines run with one rip less and it does not Start to Cut off the next rip.

Does anybody know this problem or maby have a solution for it ?

Thank's for helping

Greatings from Germany

Hans
Old 10-09-2013, 06:14 PM
Registered

try Whipple or Young performance
Old 10-09-2013, 08:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Scarab28Germany
Hello,

i have mount some Whipple Chargers (Kit for stock motors) on my Merc 502 MPI's (Model year 2000)
After some problems the run good now, but one thing happens at both Motors.

Something cut off the inner rip of the Micro V Belt from the alternator, steering Pump and water pump.

It looks like that the stronger blower belt has some how contact to the other one when the Motor run with normal speed
(2800-3500RPM)
One Motor had this problem after 5 h, the other one at 7h. I don't see a way to get more distance between them.
Since that happens the Engines run with one rip less and it does not Start to Cut off the next rip.

Does anybody know this problem or maby have a solution for it ?

Thank's for helping

Greatings from Germany

Hans
Hi Hans, are you working with a side mount or a top mount set up? My top mount had pulley alignment issues that I had to make spacers for. My side mount is ok. Randy
Old 10-10-2013, 04:19 PM
Registered

Hi,

they are absolut new top mount kit's. All the wheels from the accessorie belt are straight.
Did just mount a maybe 1/4 " (6mm) spacer under the wheels ?

I'm a little tried with the Whipple customer Service . All question i had with problems, missing parts....
I alway got no answer till i asket at CP Performance and they contcted Whipple. I got the answer there is no problem known.

Thank's for helping

Hans
Old 10-12-2013, 10:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My top mount came with the wrong snout, the threads were stripped in the lower intake because the intercooler holes did not line up correctly, & the idler bracket studs (polished extension brackets) were 1/2 " short. I had to keep calling to get things taken care of but they were eventually. That was 6-7 yrs ago when I bought it new so I would hope that the customer service issue would be fixed. I know getting Dustin on the phone can be tough sometimes but he has always called me back if I left a message. Maybe they should clone him, Lol. With that in mind I had a tough time getting things to line up & ended up using a straight edge on the pulleys to make sure everything was straight. Hope that helps, Randy
Old 10-13-2013, 08:05 AM
Registered

Hi Randy,

Thank's for helping. It's cold now here in Germany, so i have time till Aprill or May.
Maybe i can put some spacer underneth the whole brackets,
What i also do not find is how the tensioner for the Blowerbelt should be adjusted. I have a gap from about 1/2" (12mm) between the end stops. The belt is strong but maybe not strong enough so it can maybe vibrate more then it should.

Greatings

Hans
Old 10-13-2013, 10:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hans, if you look on youtube there are quite a few videos of whipple engines being dyno'd & there is quite a bit of belt flex when under boost on the ones I have seen. Maybe you should contact Eddie Young on here, he does a lot of work with whipples. I would bet he can help you out. Randy
Old 10-22-2013, 05:42 PM
Registered

Hi Randy, i watched some videos. The tensioner looks like Mine and the vibration also.
I'm in Florida from the end of next week and maybe can get on Boat Show Fort Lauderdale or the Race Week in Key West some Info. If not i will try with Young Performance
Thank's Hans