Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
bravo 1 out drive "play" whats "normal"? >

bravo 1 out drive "play" whats "normal"?

Notices

bravo 1 out drive "play" whats "normal"?

Old 10-22-2013, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bravo 1 out drive "play" whats "normal"?

Another Question on my 89 powerplay, 454 bravo 1, bought this boat a month or so ago spotless beautiful boat, runs good noticed a couple things the couple time I did have it out on the lake, first thing I did notice on a general inspection is worn wires or disconnected wires going to the trim limiter on the drive or sending unit, second think was in trailer mode the drive swings back and forth 10 inches eather way pretty freely, thought that was normal perhaps? however last trip on the lake running at a pretty good speed trimming it out I ALMOST felt like I was "losing steering" when I trimmed it down a throtteled back it seemed fine, at low speeds it doesent seem to 'wonder" around much steering is free and lose seems like normal pressure on the wheel... do I have a problem here? or is that normal ? perhaps due to the limiter wire issue maybe its trimming too much?
Old 10-22-2013, 05:43 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your drive swings 10 inches left and right without moving the steering wheel you have a major steering issue........... I would look into all of your steering components very carefully before you take the boat out on the water again.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you checked to see if your gimble ring is loose? all you need to do is swing the drives from the out side and see how far they turn on there owen befor the steering wheel starts to move.they should not move or turn easy.... you might have woren out gimble ring and steering shaft.then check to see if you can lift up on the drive and see if there is any play from up and down at the top of the ring.should not be much play there also.it worth checking out for your safty...there is outside fix I tried one year that work without motor out to tighten that steering nut inside of boat...http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ng-repair.html