Recommendations on polishing an aluminum I Beam trailer >

Recommendations on polishing an aluminum I Beam trailer

Notices

Recommendations on polishing an aluminum I Beam trailer

Old 04-27-2014, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations on polishing an aluminum I Beam trailer

Hey guys, I have been wanting to polish my aluminum I beam trailer for a while now and getting ready to start. Not looking forward to this project at all, but I think it would be worth it for a fresh water trailer. Can anyone recommend some aluminum compound/ polish to use? I would be using my variable speed buffer and a new wool pad to do the work. I have tried the Flitz Polish and some of the Mothers polish on some other stuff recently and wasn't impressed. Any advise on product or technique would be much appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-27-2014, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would spray it down with muratic acid, let it sit for a minute then hose off, that alone will get a good shine.Then you will need a 6" buffing wheel, a 7" angle grinder, and then some jewlers rouge and a whole lotta elbow grease.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:55 PM
Registered

Received 692 Likes on 276 Posts

Alum.? Muthers... You really are a gluton for punishment arent you??

Old 04-27-2014, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even fresh water will stain and spot the trailer. You are looking at a lot of up keep. I love the look of polished aluminum, but I hated having to polish the wheels on my pro street truck and then my custom motorcycle. I couldn't imaging having to do it all the time to a trailer............. Remember even though you will be dunking it in fresh water, it's still unsoftened water......
Old 04-27-2014, 04:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 183 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Pokher Ace
I would spray it down with muratic acid, let it sit for a minute then hose off, that alone will get a good shine.Then you will need a 6" buffing wheel, a 7" angle grinder, and then some jewlers rouge and a whole lotta elbow grease.
Muriatic Acid will not make aluminum shine. It will lightly etch it and make it look more "silvery." Worse yet, it will attack the plating on all of the fasteners on the trailer leading to them corroding not too far down the road. As ugly as lightly oxidized / unfinished aluminum looks, it's a hell of a lot easier to take care of than it will be after you polish it. As another poster already stated, every drop of water will stain it.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't do it! You will be a slave to it trying to keep it looking good.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
Don't do it! You will be a slave to it trying to keep it looking good.
+1 just leave it alone..if anything the dull shine look fronm fine steel wool makes the trailer look gr8..
Old 04-27-2014, 08:11 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what I use:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eastwood-Buf..._Tools&vxp=mtr

Works well.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 926 Likes on 335 Posts

if you are determined to have a polished trailer the best recommendation I can make is have someone else polish it for you.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I used a fine sanding sponge and wet sanded it the first time just to cut through all the crud. Then polish with the white or blue compounds. Takes some work , but just take your time and do a section at at time. Once you get it polished put a coat of Sharkhide on it. It seals and protects it. I just wipe down after every use and polish it up about once a year. Not that bad to maintain the shine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.