Idle/low speed and voltage issue >

Idle/low speed and voltage issue

Notices

Idle/low speed and voltage issue

Old 06-26-2014, 09:22 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Volvo used for many years a 4 bbl high rise intake with an adaptor plate to except a 2 bbl carb so it was easy to change over to a 4 bbl Holley. Remove adaptor plate, install new mounting base gasket, install new Holley 4 bbl. It was that simple on the Volvo's.

Also Volvo used holley on all of their carb motors and used Barry Grant - Sea Demon / Holley carbs as well in the later years before BG went under.

Mercruiser uses a 2 bbl intake and is set up for the Mercarb so he will have extra expense doing the 4 bbl carb swap especially going to a Holley. He will need a new 4 bbl intake, Intake gaskets, Carb mounting base gasket, new throttle cable, throttle cable bracket and mounting hardware and the 4bbl Holley carb.

Last edited by BUP; 06-26-2014 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:45 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,166 Likes on 1,430 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
Volvo used for many years a 4 bbl high rise intake with an adaptor plate to except a 2 bbl carb so it was easy to change over to a 4 bbl Holley. Remove adaptor plate, install new mounting base gasket, install new Holley 4 bbl. It was that simple on the Volvo's.

Also Volvo used holley on all of their carb motors and used Barry Grant - Sea Demon / Holley carbs as well in the later years before BG went under.

Mercruiser uses a 2 bbl intake and is set up for the Mercarb so he will have extra expense doing the 4 bbl carb swap especially going to a Holley. He will need a new 4 bbl intake, Intake gaskets, Carb mounting base gasket, new throttle cable, throttle cable bracket and mounting hardware and the 4bbl Holley carb.
Correct, other than the cable.

I can say this since it's a performance boat site, but it's true - it's a sin to have a 2bbl on a 305, let alone a 350.

I've put 4bbl's on deck boats even, they always get overloaded with people, and wow !!!
Old 06-26-2014, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it's funny that with all this talk about carbs.....that's exactly what my running problem and no start ended up being: junk carb. Now I don't feel like doing a 4-barrell conversion right now, so who do you guys like for rebuilt units? New one if out of the question for the 2barrel. I've seen http://flyingfishcarburetors.com/ and http://www.carb-x.com/ that have the rebuild Mercarb. Anyone know anything about them?
Old 06-26-2014, 11:02 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

So why can't you rebuild your old Mercarb ? Had a feeling it was carb / fuel delivery problem. Like I said you can buy the whole carb rebuild kit with accelerator pump that is also included. If your carb had water sitting in it for months or a lot of salt water use, then most likely it can be junk but if not, it should be able to get cleaned and rebuilt with a new carb kit.

Last edited by BUP; 06-26-2014 at 11:04 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:21 PM
Registered

I could rebuilt it, but I'm just at the point where I've done so much work I'd rather pay to have it rebuilt or get an already rebuilt one. I'm feeling lazy now haha
Old 06-27-2014, 03:52 PM
Registered

I might have a line on a 2BBL Holey marinr carb for ya.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I kinda understand that ,but the Mercarb is one of the simplest carbs you could rebuild if you know carbs at all. .If you are not comfortable doing that, then find a good local rebuild shop to do yours.JMO
Originally Posted by jstand22
I could rebuilt it, but I'm just at the point where I've done so much work I'd rather pay to have it rebuilt or get an already rebuilt one. I'm feeling lazy now haha