Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Turbo 400 Transmissions in boats questions? >

Turbo 400 Transmissions in boats questions?

Notices

Turbo 400 Transmissions in boats questions?

Old 09-05-2014, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo 400 Transmissions in boats questions?

Hi! I,M new to performance boating and to this forum. I noticed Boostpower USA has Turbo 400 transmissions advertised for sale on their website. I,ve always been told you couldn't run a car transmission in a boat. Obviously by boostpowers ad that is not true. Does anybody know what you have to do besides installing a reverse valve body has to be done to adapt a Turbo 400 to a boat? Thanks for the info.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's probably for something like a v-drive setup. It would be tough to get a 400 automatic to fit in a boat (too long). Never mind all the other issues!
Old 09-05-2014, 06:58 PM
Registered

Yeah went back and looked at the ad again it does say v-drive. Who uses V-drives any more? I don't don't know much about drives though when they break I call my buddy.

Last edited by SpeedDemon641; 09-05-2014 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:44 PM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

Here is video of a boat with Allison hooked to a IMCO / Bravo setup. Reason for this setup was to use the low RPM range of the diesel to it's fullest capacity, with overdrive. Neat idea if ya have an extra 3 foot of space to fill. I had the identical engine setup without a trans in a similar boat and ran just as fast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4ugzTL2y1U

To your original question, you don't need a torque converter in a boat setup. Basically just a flywheel coupler to drive the pump. Unless you use a lock up style converter your gonna waste 15% of your power. Dirt track racers have used the powerglide trans setup without a converter successfully for many years. They just dump the pump pressure via valving when needed, acts like a clutch. In a boat, ya don't even need to do that. Basically the proven Velvet drive design is what you are looking to copy, but using a 400.
Old 09-06-2014, 01:45 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info well now I know the turbo 400 trans won't work for what I want. Just saw the ad on boostpowers website and thought I could get around coughing up the money for a set of performance transmissions. Oh well it,s only money! Lol! Again thanks for the info and video.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Merc had the blactrac and b&m makes a nice short 2 speed , makes a difference on heavy haulers with a bravo .I've never seen one with extension boxes , wouldn't be cheap but could be fun at the poker races
Old 09-08-2014, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedDemon641
Hi! I,M new to performance boating and to this forum. I noticed Boostpower USA has Turbo 400 transmissions advertised for sale on their website. I,ve always been told you couldn't run a car transmission in a boat. Obviously by boostpowers ad that is not true. Does anybody know what you have to do besides installing a reverse valve body has to be done to adapt a Turbo 400 to a boat? Thanks for the info.
As said predominately V drive setups, which is one of BoostPowers main stables.