Bilge coating?

Old 09-22-2014, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

I use marine-tex in all holes to be filled
Old 09-22-2014, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I a`gree with this 100% I didnt listen and used bilgekote and it flaked and believe me I prepped properly

Originally Posted by ezstriper
Rustoleum is the best bang for the buck...works great, nice shine, holds up very well...
Old 09-23-2014, 08:40 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

I take it you are rolling the paint on with small roller and finishing all tight spots and corners with a brush. How smooth does it come out afterwards from the brush or is everyone using a sprayer to apply the paint & hardener
Old 09-23-2014, 10:24 PM
Registered

Received 123 Likes on 41 Posts

Never spray Rustoleum with the hardener mixed in unless you have a fresh air respirator. Something about the particles getting in your lungs and you drown in your sleep or something. Maybe not that but its something almost as drastic. Brush and a roller and don't plan on keeping them when you're done. I even roll mine up in plastic shopping bags between coats so they wont harden up.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I used engine degreaser on the greasy areas, rinsed then washed with Dawn. I then scuffed everything with a scotch brite pad and washed/rinsed again. Once dry, I used a paint brush to lay down the Rustoleum paint. I didn't use hardener but it may not be a bad idea. Mine was dry the next day.

I have some pics somewhere. I will see if I can dig them up.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
I take it you are rolling the paint on with small roller and finishing all tight spots and corners with a brush. How smooth does it come out afterwards from the brush or is everyone using a sprayer to apply the paint & hardener
I rolled every coat on mine and it flowed out nicely. Very glossy, smooth (and slippery) finish. Didn't leave roller marks or anything like that. I used 6"x1" mini foam rollers (semi smooth surfaces and for oil based paint) on the entire bilge...worked out well especially to get in all the tight spots.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:31 PM
Registered

I've used gelcoat on the bilge in two different boats, and plan to use it on the formula this winter too. Anybody that's only getting 5-7 min work time isn't following the directions. You can adjust your work time fairly widely, and I rolled it in on both boats. You can get pretty creative with your colors and the finish is just like the outside of your boat: smooth, glossy and durable!
Old 09-29-2014, 08:30 PM
Registered
Gold Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname
Get mine at home Depot. Gallon can. Looks like this.

This is what I got, but on the back of the can it says "for metal only" but its not real clear because following that is instructions for how to apply it. So it could be that the "for metal only" pertains to the instructions only, and not necessarily the paint. Is this the stuff?
Old 09-30-2014, 12:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
No I brush all of it...stuff flows out great and leaves no brush marks
Old 09-30-2014, 12:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by blefever
This is what I got, but on the back of the can it says "for metal only" but its not real clear because following that is instructions for how to apply it. So it could be that the "for metal only" pertains to the instructions only, and not necessarily the paint. Is this the stuff?
thats it...I even use on wood...like the old lady says in that commercial ' I put this **** on everything !"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.