Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
When to change spark plugs and finally got the boat back to 63mph >

When to change spark plugs and finally got the boat back to 63mph

Notices

When to change spark plugs and finally got the boat back to 63mph

Old 09-22-2014, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I've started fogging the motor by turning it over without starting it. Just found it to be easier and plugs don't get fouled out. I also use marine stabil for ethanol fuels but I also started draining the tank as well so I can start the season without having to worry about the condition of my fuel. I have also stopped using RV antifreeze, I found out it was jelling in the motor and plugging the steam holes in the head gaskets. I drain the water the best I can and take about a pint of straight auto antifreeze and pour it through the thermostat opening and through the supply line coming from the oil cooler. I always pull the seawater pump to check the impeller and help extend its life. I have found I can run my plugs and impeller many seasons this way.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
My guess is pre-ignition or detonation.
Bingo. Oil and high compression is a big no no.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i am not a fan of fogging oil and i do like sb,s idea with the 2 cycle oil.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 408 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
From what I remember Merc protocol for efi engines was to run 10 or 20 min on a tank of pre mix.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
I wasn't either until I had to rebuild a motor that had been stored without it due to excessive cylinder wall rust. I use Amsoil's fogger and that's why I don't start it. I can use less oil and it doesn't carbon up and foul the plugs as it does when you run the engine. I have thought about using Marvel oil in a spray bottle as well.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonesyfxr
.....so what's the best way to winterize?
The BEST way... Ship you boat to south Florda, and have it stored there. Then you can take a couple long weekend off from work, grab a flight to Sunny town, and go boating!

Then go back to work on Tuseday and explain to every one else why your tan stays year round
Old 09-24-2014, 08:36 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,317 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Bonz
From what I remember Merc protocol for efi engines was to run 10 or 20 min on a tank of pre mix.
Here's one Bulletin from Merc explaining as such:
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Bullet/01/01_15.pdf
Old 09-24-2014, 02:06 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Merc ratio is 10 to 1 and Volvo Penta is 50 to 1 as the same mix. We use a portable outboard gas tank with the soup mix but do 35 or 40 to 1 ratio for gas to oil.

This has worked out the best. Also you want to use a quality 2 - stroke oil that mixes well in the fuel. And use a quality fuel stabilizer.

We have found that Mercs 10 to 1 mix of gas to oil coats to much oil on some of the internals and spark plugs. Also the 496 hates this 10 to 1 mix as it can foul plugs.

We do all EFI / MPI and CARB engines exactly the same way as the Merc Service Bulletin but change the gas to oil 35 or 40 to 1.

This helps coats with oil (2 stroke) all the internal fuel lines and fuel pumps, carbs, fuel injectors, fuel rails and hose barbs and so on from corrosion of E-10 fuel and condensation that can form thru out the winter. Been doing this way for years and probably if I had to say how many boats maybe 5000 at least . So that should hold water.

Also we call it THE SOUP MIX in the industry. FWIW

Last edited by BUP; 09-24-2014 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:15 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Also IMO I think Merc 10 to 1 gas to oil mix is way too much for the Catalyst engines because you are coating the sub strake core of the cat and the precious metals that it made of.

Also do not forget to add the proper amount of fuel stabilizer to the boats gas tank since you are running it on a portable fuel supply mix.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:20 AM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So is this were yours is going?
If so you have another MN to help use it down there

Originally Posted by 92nsx
The BEST way... Ship you boat to south Florda, and have it stored there. Then you can take a couple long weekend off from work, grab a flight to Sunny town, and go boating!

Then go back to work on Tuseday and explain to every one else why your tan stays year round

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.