Notices

Compression test?

Old 10-15-2014, 07:41 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Like I said before I can not post from mercnet but found the same Service bulletin that Merc sends out.

www.boatfix.com/merc/bullet/97/97_25.PDF

Basically the same info as I posted and also performing leakdown testing.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

We'll I was only able to number 4 done getting before it got dark. I am not sure if I got it done right but when I put air to it I could hear it coming out of the valve covers. But will i do again. At this point I will check the intake bolts, but I am sure I will,but a new one on.

I do appreciate all,the info this is what makes this a great site.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 178 Likes on 115 Posts

MASI242, NOW THAT YOU HAVE EXTRA $$ FROM THE ENGINE LEFT THIS ON SWAP SHOP 2 bravo one drives and complete transom assemblys
GARY
Old 10-16-2014, 11:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by masi242
We'll I was only able to number 4 done getting before it got dark. I am not sure if I got it done right but when I put air to it I could hear it coming out of the valve covers. But will i do again. At this point I will check the intake bolts, but I am sure I will,but a new one on.

I do appreciate all,the info this is what makes this a great site.

when doing the leakdown their are several ways to do it...i use my head and not my body..i install the fitting in the sparkplug hole and with my starter button and my thumb over the compression hose i bump the starter until i feel the compression..then ill put a 1/2'' breaker bat with a 3/4 socket to hold the crank from turning when you induce the air from my leak down gauge..once you induce the air you can turn the crank to minimise the air leaking past the valves,once you find tdc on that cylinder you take your readings..its almost impossible to find tdc on the cylinder your working on unless you either have the harmonic balancer marked from a degree wheel or the rocker covers off to see if both valves are closed..
Old 10-16-2014, 11:19 PM
BUP
Banned

Or Buy a Top dead center tool they are spring loaded so when the piston hits TDC the ruler marks on the tool are at there highest point as you come off of TDC the ruler marks start to go down, I have them and sell them as well. These are not your piston stop tools either. it is a great tool to have weather you do this for a living or a do it yourselfer. Anyways not trying to sell anyone anything, I mainly sell more these days to marine dealers than to retail customers.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:31 PM
BUP
Banned

I will give you tips on doing a leakdown as trying to find your leak source. Use Kleenex. Yes Kleenex tissue the lightest ones per tissue- put one over the carb put another one over in place of your oil cap and another one over your dip stick tube (pull the dip stick tube out first) next if you have thru hull exhaust open up your internal flapper completely wide open or your external flapper completely wide open, then tape one corner of the Kleenex over your exhaust tips. Do your leakdown test according to their directions.

If air is leaking past where ever the leak source is, the Kleenex will be blowing around. Anyways this is how I have done it for years to figure out what side the leak source is. . Also a mechanics stethoscope down the oil dip stick tube works also to hear air passing by the rings. If its an exterior head or exterior head gasket leak usually soapy water mix will pick that up as well.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 178 Likes on 115 Posts

So how is the poroject comming? Leakdown test results?
Gary
Old 10-20-2014, 11:53 AM
Registered

Gary I really want to check #4 cylinder did it twice not sure if I got it right but it said about 20% which meant low. Went out will some of the guys from our dock for a run yesterday an they said don't worry, we will pull heads and have them checked at a very good local place and check intake and carb in early spring, just not enough time right now. I guess when the heads come off we will get a good look inside to make sure everything is good. So I guess in the spring I will learn a little more about motors and the $$$ it takes to fix them.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by masi242
Gary I really want to check #4 cylinder did it twice not sure if I got it right but it said about 20% which meant low. Went out will some of the guys from our dock for a run yesterday an they said don't worry, we will pull heads and have them checked at a very good local place and check intake and carb in early spring, just not enough time right now. I guess when the heads come off we will get a good look inside to make sure everything is good. So I guess in the spring I will learn a little more about motors and the $$$ it takes to fix them.
Warm engine?
Old 10-22-2014, 01:47 PM
Registered

Yes warm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.