Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
DUI distributor wiring question. >

DUI distributor wiring question.

Notices

DUI distributor wiring question.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:30 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default DUI distributor wiring question.

Installed a new DUI distributor in my BBC, replacing a factory Thunderbolt V ignition, and trying to find a good source for power to the distributor. Tried it at the starter solenoid, but the solenoid is only 3 lug and the small post apparently is only hot when the starter is engaged. Engine would start up, but quit when I released the key to the run position. I am going to double check it with a voltmeter, tomorrow when I go up to my boat.

Where is the best place to connect a 12 ga. wire for power to the distributor?

Wondering if I can I run a power wire from the slave solenoid direct to the distributor? Wires from the ignition are purple, but they are somewhat smaller than a 12 ga wire, but there is a red/purple wire connected to one of the small terminals and I think it is hot when the ignition is in the run mode (again, will check it tomorrow). Red/purple wire is fused and runs from the ignition switch to the alternator, circuit breaker and slave solenoid. If this terminal is hot when the ignition is in the run mode, would this be an adequate location to obtain power for the distributor?

A friend suggested that I use the existing 12v (+) coil purple wire for power. This wire is not a 12 ga wire (but none of the purple wires in this harness are), and is probably a 14 or 16ga wire. With a run so short, will a 14 or 16 ga wire provide enough voltage to power the distributor and provide 12+ volts?

Unfortunately, electricity and circuits are not my forte, so sorry in advance for the uneducated question. Any info and help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10-27-2014, 01:07 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shunter2005
Installed a new DUI distributor in my BBC, replacing a factory Thunderbolt V ignition, and trying to find a good source for power to the distributor. Tried it at the starter solenoid, but the solenoid is only 3 lug and the small post apparently is only hot when the starter is engaged. Engine would start up, but quit when I released the key to the run position. I am going to double check it with a voltmeter, tomorrow when I go up to my boat.

Where is the best place to connect a 12 ga. wire for power to the distributor?

Wondering if I can I run a power wire from the slave solenoid direct to the distributor? Wires from the ignition are purple, but they are somewhat smaller than a 12 ga wire, but there is a red/purple wire connected to one of the small terminals and I think it is hot when the ignition is in the run mode (again, will check it tomorrow). Red/purple wire is fused and runs from the ignition switch to the alternator, circuit breaker and slave solenoid. If this terminal is hot when the ignition is in the run mode, would this be an adequate location to obtain power for the distributor?

A friend suggested that I use the existing 12v (+) coil purple wire for power. This wire is not a 12 ga wire (but none of the purple wires in this harness are), and is probably a 14 or 16ga wire. With a run so short, will a 14 or 16 ga wire provide enough voltage to power the distributor and provide 12+ volts?

Unfortunately, electricity and circuits are not my forte, so sorry in advance for the uneducated question. Any info and help would be appreciated.

Thanks
just hook up a relay..use the existing ppl wire to trigger the relay and grab power from the starter but fuse it with a 30 apm fuse..use this scamatic but the fuel pump would be the dist..http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/a...boschrelay.jpg
Old 10-27-2014, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I had a Dui in my 496 I spliced directly into the purple ignition wire and never had an issue. No need to over complicate things.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

running one now, just to factory ign wire
Old 10-27-2014, 10:04 AM
Registered

Fixx - I will do that if I can't get power any other way. Thanks

Originally Posted by Black Baja
When I had a Dui in my 496 I spliced directly into the purple ignition wire and never had an issue. No need to over complicate things.
Black Baja - Thanks, I always over think things, when I'm not sure what I'm doing. If you spliced into the ignition wire somewhere, couldn't I just use the existing purple wire that went to the (+) side of the old coil? Did you splice in with a 12 ga. wire?

Originally Posted by ezstriper
running one now, just to factory ign wire
Ezstriper - Where did you splice in or did you use the existing purple (+) coil wire?

If the old TB V was an HEI ignition and ran off the smaller purple wire, shouldn't this DUI run off of it also. I know they say that it should have a 12 ga. wire, but..... Man, here I go again, making this more complicated than it should be. I just want to be sure that I am going to get 12-14 volts to this distributor. Heading up to check this out today. Hopefully, I will get it straightened
Old 10-27-2014, 05:12 PM
Registered

Went up and checked wires with the voltmeter. The existing purple (+) coil wire was putting out 12+ volts with the key on. Sooooo, I tapped into it and hooked it up. Cleaned everything up and gave it a go. Lit off almost immediately. Set the timing and she ran like a top on muffs. Will put it in the water next week and see if she still runs good.

I appreciate the responses here that made it a bit easier to go ahead and do it. Thanks
Old 10-27-2014, 06:48 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,166 Likes on 1,430 Posts

Here is a good .pdf of popular black motor wiring schematics that could prove valuable to have in one's computer boat folder: http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Techbk/94/94hg4d.pdf

There are more on the net of course, if you do some searching.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:42 PM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by shunter2005
Went up and checked wires with the voltmeter. The existing purple (+) coil wire was putting out 12+ volts with the key on. Sooooo, I tapped into it and hooked it up. Cleaned everything up and gave it a go. Lit off almost immediately. Set the timing and she ran like a top on muffs. Will put it in the water next week and see if she still runs good.

I appreciate the responses here that made it a bit easier to go ahead and do it. Thanks
That's what I said i did on the Checkmate Forums. My feelings aren't hurt that you did not trust me. Glad it worked for ya.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sonicss42

That's what I said i did on the Checkmate Forums. My feelings aren't hurt that you did not trust me. Glad it worked for ya.
Sorry, it's not that I didn't trust you, I just didn't understand your explanation of where you got the power. I took it that you somehow plugged into a flat plug in the EFI harness and that threw me, since mine is carbed. You threw me another little curve with the additional wire for the oil pressure alarm out of the harness. As I said, I am electricity challenged and I just couldn't grasp it. I kept thinking about the ignition module and the knock sensor harness plugs in my boat and didn't know if I could use the purple wires there. I finally realized that all the purple wires were the same size (DUH!!), so I opted for the existing purple (+) coil wire that wasn't being used. All that worry for basically nothing. I kept reading everywhere that the DUI had to have a 12 ga. wire for power.

Oh, and you were certainly correct. If you over think it, it does become more complicated than it has to be and will drive you crazy. I have spent hours searching for info about this.

Next time (if there is one), I will ask more pointed questions and try to get it straight in my thick old head.

Thanks
Old 10-30-2014, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

used several of the large cap HEI's I always buy the correct connectors from summit splice them to the power and tach and roll on...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.