Notices

496 Raw Water Pump

Old 11-02-2014, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 496 Raw Water Pump

2006 Formula 330SS with twin Mercruiser 496 mag's, smartcraft, DTS, serial 0w618143
So I'm stumped. I bought this boat in August and it has ran great so far. I decide to do a little maintenance this weekend and now I have a problem. I pulled the raw water pump to change the impeller. Everything went pretty smooth and when I had it back together I fired the engine up and no water was coming out the exhaust, and I'm showing no water pressure on the smartcraft. I pulled it all back apart thinking that I screwed something up but everything looks correct.

I pulled the pump back off and turned on the hose and I have no water coming out the intake hose where it would attach to the pump. Shouldn't I have water dumping in to the bilge at that point? It's a bravo 3 boat, is there a shutoff valve in between the transom assembly and the pump? I'm stuck, and help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Aaron
Old 11-02-2014, 11:55 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Not saying this is your problem but some of these impellers still floating around brand new in the package. Check your date codes, the info in the link below I wrote. Believe it or not, still applies currently. Some people selling marine parts still have these old impellers new in the package. Especially some online sellers from ebay and other online parts suppliers..

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-heads-up.html

next do you have side water pick ups and lower water pick ups for your Bravo app ? If yes and If you are running on the water hose with flush muffs only - you need to block off your low water pick ups in the front of the bullet. You can use duck tape to block them off but do not forget to peel it off when you are done.

Next your impeller housing can be worn internally (scared or grooved) this will cause cavitation inwhich will not pump enough water or not pump at all.

Last edited by BUP; 11-02-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Common issue. The ends of the pump body wear over time. The old impeller matched those wear grooves. The new impeller does not and therefore has a problem running off a hose particularly when you are asking the pump to lift the water up from the lower unit which would require a near perfect seal. It will probably be ok when you put the boat in the water but to be safe rebuild the pump with a kit that allows you to cover up the worn end plates (JR Marine) or replace the pump with a new one or replace the pump with one with replacable end (wear) plates (Hardin Marine).

I bet you've got about 200-300 hours on those pumps.

Dan
Old 11-03-2014, 03:12 PM
Registered

Problem solved... The housing was scored so I used the Kit from JC marine (Captain's Choice in Ft. Walton Beach had a few in stock) and everything started working again. Now that I know what I know I can do the other engine.
Dan, I just bought the boat and the engines have about 700 hours on them and I have no idea when they were last changed. The housings did look pretty rough.
Here is a link to the kit:
http://www.jcmarinellc.com/water_pump_kit.htm
Thanks for all the help.
Aaron
Old 11-04-2014, 10:36 AM
Registered

Thats the one I was thinking of Aaron. I know several people who have used them to good effect and I have used their steering pin fix also.

That 330 may be the perfect boat for your neck of the woods.

Dan
Old 11-04-2014, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This past spring when I replaced my impellors, my starboard engine started to overheat right after changing (I was idleing). I was in the water when this happened, so it sorta freaked me out. The overheat buzzer was going off so I shut that engine down. After sitting for a few minutes with the engine off, I started it and slowly took off, as soon as I got on plane buzzer went off and never came back on. I figure it needed a prime.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:16 AM
Registered

I was told that if I ran it may have primed but I need to flush it on the hose after so this was my only option (aside from replace the pumps). The kit seems to have work. I'm going to do the other side this weekend then go shake it down. Hopefully everything will be good.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by alindquist
I was told that if I ran it may have primed but I need to flush it on the hose after so this was my only option (aside from replace the pumps). The kit seems to have work. I'm going to do the other side this weekend then go shake it down. Hopefully everything will be good.
Did mine about four years ago , put new impellers in wouldn't suck water pump was scored . Put the stainless steel wear plates in good a gold ever since .
Old 11-05-2014, 12:18 PM
Registered

good to know Paul, thanks
Old 11-18-2014, 05:12 AM
Registered

When replacing an impeller or rebuilding a pump or even starting at the beginning of a season I always fill it with liquid laundry soap. It provides temporary lubrication for the new impeller and helps it prime a dry system.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.