Best aluminum heads out there??

Notices

Best aluminum heads out there??

Old 12-05-2014, 05:24 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,353 Likes on 1,501 Posts

^^^What he said.^^^^

Some forms of motorsports use heads that need to offer more than what the manufacturer can give you (even cnc'd) and thus why your Brodix's and Dart's (and some Edelbrock's) and on and on it seems, are preferred by cylinder head porters because the casting is able to be manipulated into what they want. In fact, in the more extreme side of this spectrum, some of these companies offer heads that are labeled 'pro port' or etc that have very, very, very little machining done to them and 'shrunk up ports' that leaves more material for the porter to be able to remove and thus more room to put in what they want to put in.

In other words:
It's easier to remove material than it is to add, therefore, whomever's head that can be made into what they are really looking for, is what the cylinder head guy will start with.

For most Hobbyists, getting something from the manufacturer that gives them what they want is why the discussions on boards like this : on: do I get AFR's / Brodix / Darts's / Edelbrock's or etc.

Hard for me to type things like this so hopefully it is somewhat understandable. LOL.

Last edited by SB; 12-05-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:28 PM
SB
Registered

Here's a pic of a 'Pro Port.' Could you bolt this up and run ? Nah.....combustion chamber not done. Valve guide's ? Nope. valve seats. nope. Pushrod holes ? Nope.

Edelbrock 'Pro Ports' here:
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...port-raw.shtml

LS Pro Port

Pontiac Pro Port:

Victor 24* BBC Pro-Port

Last edited by SB; 12-05-2014 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew555
On on the fence myself about airflow research heads. Not because I don't think there the best for my motor but I run salt water only. Can anyone tell me what kind of hours there getting out of there's in salt. It's a lot of cheddar to spend on something that's going to rot away lol.
afr has a hard anodize option for salt water use,if i remember correctly it is 175 bucks per set.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:50 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by bigboat28
Which is the better head AFR or Dart and why?
i have always used dart heads but recently did a build with afr 315 cnc heads.the quality&performance we saw with the afr,s was as good as the dart,s and about a grand cheeper.pretty sure i will be using the afr,s from now on.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:04 PM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
afr has a hard anodize option for salt water use,if i remember correctly it is 175 bucks per set.
Remember though, any machined surface after the hard anodizing will be left unprotected.

Edit in: I'm a hard onodizing freak. I am in a super fresh water lake and I even have my intake manifold hard anodized.

Also remember, hard anodizing makes the surface coated electrically 'dead' (and thus why it's good protection against electrolysis) so grounds will be needed to be though out more.

Last edited by SB; 12-05-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew555
crap. I already ordered but thanks anyway. Better off anyway. I think I would rather everything all new.
I dont blame you lol, New is the way to go!
Old 12-07-2014, 01:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey SB. Do you have to have the annodizing done with the valve seats removed?
I didn't think the steel seats would play nice in the anno tank.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 959 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
Hey SB. Do you have to have the annodizing done with the valve seats removed?
I didn't think the steel seats would play nice in the anno tank.
I can answer that,seats need to be removed as well as any heli coils and valve guides.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:55 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
I can answer that,seats need to be removed as well as any heli coils and valve guides.
They don't have to be removed they can be masked off. This significantly increases the cost of anodizing.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 959 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
They don't have to be removed they can be masked off. This significantly increases the cost of anodizing.
there's 2 types of hard anodizing,,1 like afr does and the mil spec hard anodizing canfield heads were done in.
I have a couple of places close by us that does the mil spec hard anodizing.they told me everything need to be removed before they'd put the pieces in their tank.
when done mil spec,,surface is hard to scratch.afr's h.a. comes off w/ a lite touch of a sand paper roll.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.