Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Electrical question / Replacing a light. >

Electrical question / Replacing a light.

Notices

Electrical question / Replacing a light.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical question / Replacing a light.

Greetings all. I am new to the site and this is my first post... (Go easy on me.)

I have a 1989 Formula with the "Silent Thunder" exhaust box.

This past weekend, as I was doing my pre-season inspection, I noticed that the lens on my flush mount stern-light was all but blackened out. I removed the stainless shroud and disassembled the light housing. Long story short, the entire light assembly needs to be replaced. I noticed that the lead wires that pass through the transom (and silent thunder box) are a little on the short side.

I have the new light assembly and am planning on doing this job tonight since the boat is still on the trailer.

The question is:

Should I be able to cut the lead wires and pull them back in through the transom to lengthen them, or will I have to drop the exhaust box? (And yes, I do know what removing that box entails. lol)

Thanks for the read. Hopefully someone has done this before.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ir the hole they pass thru is big enough, attach another wire to them and pull it thru so you have a fish wire to pull the new ones back with. and BTW, welcome aboard.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:33 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

On my 87 224LS, I know similar hull different top. My stern lamp wire comes through the upper transom and does not pass through the Silent Thunder box at all. if you have trouble just solder on a bit of extension wire.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All set. I was able to make the splice from the outside of the transom and reseal the housing. Looks perfect. Thanks!