Notices

Starter issues

Old 06-06-2015, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter issues

Had engine rebuilt. Put the same starter back on no shims. There were no shims before. Dart block heavy duty NAPA starter. Never had any problems before the rebuild. It worked a couple times out. Last night it just made agrinding noise. Pulled the starter it looks good. Thought the gear had broke or wore.
Does this set up need to be shimed? Could the solenoid be weak or bad.
Going to get a new starter today.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

if same starter,same block,same flywheel the problem could be hydrolock in the engine.pull all the plugs and turn the engine with a socket and long ratchet and look closely for water from the spark plug holes.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:14 PM
Registered

I'm going to pull the plugs just for inspection it was only the third time the motors been ran since the dyno. The starter worked the first few start then started acting up since I put the engine in the boat a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully just an old weak starter. It worked great before the rebuild no issues last year.

Any preference on brand or type of starter. Hope this does not turn into a oil brand type question. LOL
Engine is 10.7 to 1 compression

Last edited by the mayor; 06-06-2015 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:55 PM
Registered

Local NAPA. Didn't have starter called several other part supplier and strange enough Orielys cross referenced the Napa number and had one in stock. Installed it no problems yet. I think the old one was tired it starts easy now. Nice evening ride to cincy and back.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:58 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,166 Likes on 1,430 Posts

Originally Posted by the mayor
Any preference on brand or type of starter. Hope this does not turn into a oil brand type question. LOL
Yeh, don't get another NAPA. Never been (and I'm pretty old) impressed with their starters nor alternators. Not uncommon to have to keep replacing them.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:27 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Shouldn't he be running a marine starter rather than an automotive starter like you get at NAPA or O'Reily's? Without a spark arresting system, you run the risk of a big BOOM if you get some gas fumes down there in the bilge.

I tried one of the DB Electrical starters on my boat a couple of years ago, and ended up with the dreaded grinding sound. Bent two of the Chinese bolts that come with it, and then the starter itself started making noise after I went out and got some real GM bolts. I finally gave up and bought a Merc starter - end of problems.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:41 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,166 Likes on 1,430 Posts

NAPA sells marine parts.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Budman II
Shouldn't he be running a marine starter rather than an automotive starter like you get at NAPA or O'Reily's? Without a spark arresting system, you run the risk of a big BOOM if you get some gas fumes down there in the bilge.

I tried one of the DB Electrical starters on my boat a couple of years ago, and ended up with the dreaded grinding sound. Bent two of the Chinese bolts that come with it, and then the starter itself started making noise after I went out and got some real GM bolts. I finally gave up and bought a Merc starter - end of problems.
I'm no expert and certainly understand the concern. It appears to be a totaly enclosed starter and was cross referenced from the Napa part number which was a marine unit.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:55 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
NAPA sells marine parts.
Good to know!
Old 06-17-2015, 02:42 PM
Registered

Napa, O'reilly, Smyth and most of the other local parts houses sell marine parts even though their counter guys don't know how to look them up. I usually research my own part numbers when I need something.
PS Tim I hope to find you on the water in the next couple weeks. If the weather cooperates I'm taking dad (Earl) out on the river Sunday for fathers day if you're going to be out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.