Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Best distributor advance curve for a MSD ignition on a bravo magnum 454? >

Best distributor advance curve for a MSD ignition on a bravo magnum 454?

Notices

Best distributor advance curve for a MSD ignition on a bravo magnum 454?

Old 06-11-2015, 06:57 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,166 Likes on 1,430 Posts

Most non 'fuel/ignition cut rev limiters' do this. They slowly start to pull random firing events so that by the time you get to your rev limit, you will not exceed it.

This is why I warn people about this when the subject comes in hand. Most are MSD right now of course.

Rev limiters are not to be set for a normal driving rpm plateau, if you will. They are to be set so that no engine damage will occur if you encounter a free rev condition...ie: you have a fountain and hit a wave and your face crashes into the floor....lol......propshaft breaks, coupler breaks, etc,etc.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Remember to blue Loctite those rotor screws!
Mine locked up ad broke distributor gear got lucky didn't brake cam gear. Thought lost engine at 6500rpm
Old 06-11-2015, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Most non 'fuel/ignition cut rev limiters' do this. They slowly start to pull random firing events so that by the time you get to your rev limit, you will not exceed it.

This is why I warn people about this when the subject comes in hand. Most are MSD right now of course.

Rev limiters are not to be set for a normal driving rpm plateau, if you will. They are to be set so that no engine damage will occur if you encounter a free rev condition...ie: you have a fountain and hit a wave and your face crashes into the floor....lol......propshaft breaks, coupler breaks, etc,etc.
I knew they came in early, I just didnt think that early. But surely learned something there.

Which now has me thinking. On my old crane boxes, i had the limiters at 6200RPM. Last year I was running around 5800RPM with my current props, all out, trimmed, some chop, etc. I certainly didn't hear any breaking up, but then again two dry piped engines, blower whine thru the race hatches, and wind blasting your face, can make things hard to hear. Was there more in it? Idk. Thanks to upholstery guys taking their sweet time, I will have to wait to see.