Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
iboats does not have MEFI expert and I have a known issue. >

iboats does not have MEFI expert and I have a known issue.

Notices

iboats does not have MEFI expert and I have a known issue.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:13 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Is it me or what in the world 2004 GXI Volvo Penta engine do you have 5.0 or 5.7 or the 8.1

the 8.1 uses different fuel pressures than the small blocks the fuel pressure low and high is different spec between the 2.

What do you have and I can tell you what your fuel pressure should.

I might have missed what engine you have so If I did sorry but If not I do not know how anyone can even give you correct answers because a 5.7 does not have or use the same ignition nor reads the sensors the same compared to a 8.1. food for thought.

Last edited by BUP; 07-28-2015 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:18 PM
BUP
Banned

I clearly do not see what GXI engine you have. how can anyone answer or reply to what your problem is ?

496 is a totally different animal that the 350 especially for any diagnostic testing along with fuel pressures are not even close to same.

21608511 is the current part number cool fuel cell thru Volvo it lists for 929 so I take it you bought on line ebay thru Lenders for the 600 bucks. There is a little story about these online.

Last edited by BUP; 07-28-2015 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
I clearly do not see what GXI engine you have. how can anyone answer or reply to what your problem is ?

496 is a totally different animal that the 350 especially for any diagnostic testing along with fuel pressures are not even close to same.

21608511 is the current part number cool fuel cell thru Volvo it lists for 929 so I take it you bought on line ebay thru Lenders for the 600 bucks. There is a little story about these online.
Hell, I did leave off the displacement. My apologies. Its an 8.1 GXi-D S/N 3869264. My fuel pressure is within the spec in the shop manual I have.

Originally Posted by airjunky
Put the fuel pressure gauge back on and monitor pressure when the fault happens . Think it was 3500rpm?
if that one has voltage fed to operate the cam sensor, make sure its not dropping off , that one will make grown men cry..
To clarify I'm not getting a fault anymore. But, I haven't exceeded 3000 rpms since this problem showed up.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:44 AM
BUP
Banned

My point well taken I hope - Like I said in POST 2 "before we even get started" "Engine model #" needed -

how can anyone with no eyes - no hands and no ears and the BIG ONE not knowing what you have throw any answers out to help fix what ? Heck you could have a 4.3 GXI Volvo for all what was not known.

Anyways simple as running the boat out of gas can throw a cam and crank sensor code on a 8.1.and even the engine misfiring for the 8.1 can do the samething. Just saying .

Volvo manuals at one time had the fuel pressure specs wrong Yours looks like it has the correct ones. I will throw them out anyways.

fuel pressure specs are.

Low pressure 8 psi + or - 4 psi

High pressure 40 psi + or - 4 psi

and needs to be steady fuel pressure.

Buying the online Volvo cool fuels can be a problem because Volvo found out afterwards some would leak. So just recently all cool fuel systems were on back order and the online cheapo ones got stuck with some of the bad ones.

Now I am not saying you have a bad one but all the ones that were online are gone now and some for reason - They leaked so it could be a 50 / 50 chance that anyone got a bad one from buying online. You roll the dice with online parts and most come with no warranty either. Just saying.

Again you still could have a good fuel cell but I am telling the true story about them in the past 3 months to current. Volvo has them back out now for the good ones and the current back order has been lifted. FWIW.

Last edited by BUP; 07-29-2015 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
My point well taken I hope - how can anyone with no eyes - no hands and no ears and the BIG ONE not knowing what you have throw any answers out to help fix what ? Heck you could have even a 4.3 GXI Volvo.

Anyways simple as running the boat out of gas can throw a cam and cranks sensor code on a 8.1.and even the engine misfiring for the 8.1 can do the samething. Just saying .

Volvo manuals at ne time had the fuel pressure specs wrong Yours looks like it has the correct ones. I will throw them out anyways.

fuel pressure specs are.

Low pressure 8 psi + or - 4 psi

High pressure 40 psi + or - 4 psi

and needs to be steady fuel pressure.

Buying the online Volvo cool fuels can be a problem because Volvo found out afterwards some would leak. So just recently all cool fuel systems were on back order and the online cheapo ones got stuck with some of the bad ones.

Now I am not saying you have a bad one but all the ones that were online are gone now and some for reason - They leaked so it could be a 50 / 50 chance that anyone got a bad one from buying online. You roll the dice with online parts as no warranty either. Just saying. Again you still could have a good fuel cell but that's the true story about them in the past 3 months to current. Volvo has them back out now for the good ones. FWIW.
I'm holding steady at 40 psi with the engine running, through various RPM ranges on the hose. It doesn't leak (externally to the system at least). I could see it being prone to failure but at the moment if I can maintain pressure in spec then its likely not the issue? There must be something I'm missing.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:17 AM
Registered

Does anyone have any insight in regard to this "know issue" i was referred over for? If it was just simply the fuel pump issue then thats not anything I didn't already know. I was hoping it was something less obvious. Also, can anyone touch on the power balance test?
Old 07-30-2015, 10:55 AM
BUP
Banned

what "know issue" can you explain all the issues you are having ?

I will look at this later have to go back to work

Has any OEM Volvo dealers looked at your issues / engine as I am asking because it seems that you have been trying to resolve these for a while now ?
Old 07-30-2015, 11:12 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
what "know issue" can you explain all the issues you are having ?

I will look at this later have to go back to work

Has any OEM Volvo dealers looked at your issues / engine as I am asking because it seems that you have been trying to resolve these for a while now ?
Well I was saying "known issue" because I was referred specifically to you BUP by someone on iBoats after I detailed my issue and I touched specifically on the power balance test. I have not paid anyone to work on this problem. Its been 5 weeks now I've been working on it, but the issue is only obvious under load, so I've really been repairing in week increments since I only go out on weekends. I appreciate your help, I really do. I detail the issue in my initial post. But, in short, I have no power under load. It struggles to plane and when it does I'm maxing speeds around 32mph (when I could break 60mph before the issue). Under load the engine just sounds flat, not missing or shaking, just flat. Also, on occasion, itll start then cut off after a few fires. But always starts after the second attempt and wont cut off again. ONCE, it backfired while I was trying to start it.

My instinct is since my problem started when I rebuilt/replaced the fuel pump i'm chasing a lean condition. But, I'm by no means an expert, just a driveway mechanic that doesn't want to drain my bank account (and subsequently listen to my wife lecture me) to have someone troubleshoot at $100+ an hour.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:42 PM
BUP
Banned

Power balance I just gave out the jist of it. Post 9 but make sure you read post 14 in the link below. I would read post 7 to.

I made a mistake called it power balancing test but really is called power balance test.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...n-hp-500s.html
Old 07-30-2015, 12:45 PM
BUP
Banned

I have NOT been on iboats so I guess it is a compliment that my name comes up as a referral.

Can you tell me what sensor(s) you have changed out with new if any ?

Have you examine your spark plugs ?.

Does your scan show 100 % available power while the engine running ?

Ok now I have to get some stuff done - I will read all of your posts later and see what comes to mind.

the jist - just off the top of my head and just saying - fuel injectors ??? and or crank sensor ? If you do not have 100 % available power then possible bad coil(s) or an internal engine problem.

Do you have closed cooling with your 8.1 Volvo come either way ? was your engine winterized properly ? .

Last edited by BUP; 07-30-2015 at 12:55 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.