Notices

bouncing tach

Old 07-29-2015, 02:46 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default bouncing tach

Hi All. Recently had my panel apart to troubleshoot my nav lights and blower not working. A bit of poking around and that problem was resolved, but afterwards the port motor's tachometer started bouncing around while cold. This issue occurs for the first 5 or 10 minutes running and then it settles down to normal. I dont even know where to begin, any advice from the old salts out there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP162dC2eGw
Old 07-29-2015, 03:37 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,197 Likes on 1,447 Posts

Jump behind tach, make sure connections are good and also tight.

Also, you'll see a small switch you can turn for amount of cylinders - turn that back and forth a few times and put back to 8cyl.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:40 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Pole setting on the back of gauge is what SB is talking bout.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:44 PM
BUP
Banned

could be a bad tach as well
Just some info

http://faria-instruments.com/site_ma...achometers.pdf
Old 07-29-2015, 03:49 PM
BUP
Banned

pole setting on the back of Tachs needs to be moved and put back in the same spot or a hair off.

http://www.pontoonboatforum.com/uplo..._setting_1.JPG
Old 07-29-2015, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 472 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
could be a bad tach as well
Just some info

http://faria-instruments.com/site_ma...achometers.pdf
I fixed my bouncing tach by buying a new tach no more bounce.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:50 PM
BUP
Banned

I hear that but if your kitchen sink in your house is leaking do buy a whole new Kitchen with counter tops and all or just try to fix the leak at first to see what happens ? just saying
Old 07-29-2015, 07:02 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,197 Likes on 1,447 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
I hear that but if your kitchen sink in your house is leaking do buy a whole new Kitchen with counter tops and all or just try to fix the leak at first to see what happens ? just saying
Depends if you are married or not. Doh !
Old 07-29-2015, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. Hopefully i'll be able to look further at the problem on friday and i'll check these all out.

A couple more relevant points:
-I actually had the panel off a couple times before i resolved the blower & nav lights issue. The first time i put it back together I'm almost certain that it was the right tach that was jumping. After the second time i had it apart (and by then the blower & nav lights were working) the bouncing tach had migrated over to the port side, with the right tach being rock solid. I've gone out 3 or 4 times since then and the problem is now not changing, not getting better or worse.

-Whatever causes the issue, it totally disappears within 5 or 10 minutes and doesnt recur until the motors have fully cooled down again (e.g. it won't happen after a 4 hour rest on the beach, but will after letting her sleep overnight).

Those facts make me doubt its a switch issue on the backside of the tach... but i will definitely check that out and report back here.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:17 PM
BUP
Banned

SB I was trying to be funny about it as I said could be a bad tach to. And for the leak in the sink you are right guys will try many of times with Teflon tape and the women would go for - its time to get a whole new kitchen, sink included.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.